Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
KwmQtlu.jpg

A) I screenshotted it.
B) I screenshot it.

Shoot is a verb. Shot is its past form. Shot is also a noun. Screenshot is a noun.

If I use screenshot as a verb, its past form should be screenshotted. But that doesn't sound right.
If I decide to revert to the verb the noun comes from, shoot, it should be screenshoot, and its past form should be screenshot. But that doesn't sound right either.

Whatever the past form is, it's not screenshat; that's for sure. I can always avoid it altogether and say "I took a screenshot", but I'm lazy, and I want to use one word. Which do you recommend?

The verb really only works in the bare form:

Can you screenshot it?
I'll screenshot it for you.
Did he screenshot that?

For me, there's no natural way to use it in the past simple, present perfect or past perfect.

I've thought about this for perhaps a bit too long. My conclusion is that I'd probably go for screenshotted too. It does sound clumsy, doesn't it? But at least it's clearly marked for tense, unlike screenshot.

Part of the problem here is that the infinitive isn't "screenshoot"; it's "screenshot". Because we already recognise "shot" as the past participle of "shoot", we tend to read "screenshot" (verb) as if it's in a past tense. It's a noun that's become a verb.

Part of the problem here is that the infinitive isn't "screenshoot"; it's "screenshot". Because we already recognise "shot" as the past participle of "shoot", we tend to read "screenshot" (verb) as if it's in a past tense. It's a noun that's become a verb.

My thoughts exactly. That's why I've been avoiding it altogether. I think I'm going to stick to screenshot and took a screenshot for its sort-of-past form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back