I shaved my moustache off last weekend (Causative Form VS Past Simple)

Status
Not open for further replies.

northpath

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Picture this: I have a shaver. Last weekend, I used it to get rid of my moustache. What should I tell “I shaved my moustache off last weekend.” or “I had my moustache shaved off last weekend.”?

Picture that: I have a washing machine. Last weekend I used it to wash my clothes. What should I tell “I washed my clothes last weekend.” or “I had my clothes washed last weekend.”?

End finally, I have a highly sophisticated home robot that can cook, clean, mow a lawn etc. Last weekend I used it to mow my lawn (it did it completely on its own). What should I tell “I mowed my lawn last weekend.” or “I had my lawn mowed last weekend.”?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You did not get somebody to shave off your moustache, or wash your clothes for you. Don't use causative have.

When you have a machine that cooks, cleans and mows lawns, you will perhaps say I got my Do-it-all robot to mow the lawn.

northpath

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
So, Causative Form relates to people only and will never relate to any machine in the future, right?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It generally related to people only, yes.

I have no idea how it will be used in the future, when machines become more human-like.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It might relate to shaving machines of the future, but they are yet to be invented. When you, or your partner, can order a speaker to tell a machine to whip your moustache off, we may have a causative.

Status
Not open for further replies.