Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I like the stories in Greek mythology and I want to buy the books about it. I think there must be more than one book talking about the whole mythology. I mean, one book is not enough, maybe two or more to talk about all the stories in it. I'm not talking about two different books about the author's aspects about Greek mythology, just books about the stories in it. Is my italic sentence natural?

I want to buy a series of books about Greek mythology.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I like [STRIKE]the stories in[/STRIKE] Greek mythology and [STRIKE]I[/STRIKE] want to buy some books about it. I think there must be more than one book talking about [STRIKE]the whole[/STRIKE] mythology. I mean, one book is not enough, maybe two or more to talk about all the stories in it. I'm not talking about two different books about the author's aspects about Greek mythology, just books about the stories in it. Is my italic sentence natural?

I want to buy
some books about Greek mythology.
Rather than "the stories in it," it's more natural to just say Greek mythology. It's a group of stories, so stories is understood.

If you keep "stories," then you need to end the sentence with them, not it.

A series is a single set of several volumes. I don't think you're looking for a series, especially since you're not citing a particular series.

There are thousands of books about Greek mythology. The one by Robert Graves is probably the most popular.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
First of all, a series of is not really right. As far as I can tell, the best way to say what you mean is some books.

The second point concerns what kind of books you mean, which, despite your best efforts to explain, is still not clear. Do you mean books that tell the stories? Or do you mean books that discuss issues concerning the stories. If you mean the former, use the first suggestion below, and if you mean the latter, use the second.

I want to buy some books of Greek myths.
I want to buy some books on Greek mythology.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.