I want to express the idea that an apartment building receives a lot of sunlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I want to express the idea that an apartment building receives a lot of sunlight. Can I use "sun-drenched"? Would that have a positive connotation?

Is this correct?

I like Jane's apartment. It's located on a corner, it has floor-to-ceiling windows and it is sun-drenched. When I wake up there and draw the curtains, a lot of sunlight streams in and floods the living room. Light bounces off the white walls and gives the place a cozy golden glow.

Do I have other options?

I want to express the idea that an apartment building gets a lot of sunlight. Can I use "sun-drenched"?

Yes.

Would that have a positive connotation?

Yes.

Is this correct?

I like Jane's apartment. It's [STRIKE]located[/STRIKE] on a corner, it has floor-to-ceiling windows and it is sun-drenched. When I wake up there and draw the curtains, a lot of sunlight streams in and floods the living room. Light bounces off the white walls and gives the place a cozy golden glow.

Yes. It's good.

Do I have other options?

Yes, you have infinite options.
You knew that!

unit is well-exposed to sunlight
solar orientation of the unit is good

unit is well-exposed to sunlight
solar orientation of the unit is good
Why have you switched to unit?

The first is not very natural; The second is unnatural.

An apartment is called a unit (of a building).

I don't think "sun-drenched" is natural. Maybe, the second is a bit technical but "solar orientation" is a common term in architecture.

I don't think "sun-drenched" is natural. Maybe, the second is a bit technical but "solar orientation" is a common term in architecture.

Yet again, tedmc, you are giving learners technical jargon. Unless specifically requested, there's no need to share such information.

Unless specifically requested, there's no need to share such information.
I'd go farther and say there is a real need not to share it.

An apartment is called a unit

That is certainly true and correct here in Canada, both in legal jargon and in everyday usage. I myself live in a condominium unit. That is what BrE would call an ownership flat..

Why have you switched to unit?

The first is not very natural; The second is unnatural.

If it is unnatural, that is only in BrE. In Am E it is fine, indeed commonplace.

I myself live in a condominium unit. That is what BrE would call an ownership flat..
Ownership flat is a new one on this speaker of BrE.

If it is unnatural, that is only in BrE. In Am E it is fine, indeed commonplace.
So you are saying solar orientation of the unit is good is commonplace in AmE. We live and learn.

Last edited:
No, I was referring to Ted's use of unit. That's what I thought you guys were talking about. If I was wrong I am sorry.

Here in sun-starved Canada we are very interested in the orientation of houses with respect to the sun, but we usually use south-facing to describe a good one.

Last edited:
The only references I could find today were to shared ownership flats. When I lived in London long ago some people could still afford to own a flat there, but it seems property prices have increased to the point where the best young people can hope for is a share of a flat.

"In Australia, a 'unit' refers to flats, apartments or even semi-detached houses. In Australia, the terms "unit", "flat" and "apartment" are largely used interchangeably. Newer high-rise buildings are more often marketed as "apartments", as the term "flats" carries colloquial connotations."

"In Australia, a 'unit' refers to flats, apartments or even semi-detached houses. In Australia, the terms "unit", "flat" and "apartment" are largely used interchangeably. Newer high-rise buildings are more often marketed as "apartments", as the term "flats" carries colloquial connotations."
The quotation marks at the beginning and end suggest that you are quoting somebody, ted. Are you?

Please give us the link to your source when you first quote it.

In ordinary American conversation, we say apartment. Flat is British, and unit is real estate and design jargon.

There's also slang, like crib and pad.

And any home — a house, trailer, apartment, or condo — can be called a place: They all came over to my place to play Scrabble.

No doubt! But in ordinary conversation, few American would talk about solar orientation. We would usually say "sunny."

For what it's worth, I still think Al's "sun-drenched" works well there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back