I want to say something helped someone understand the difference between two things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I want to say something helped someone understand the difference between two things. Can I use "drive home"? Is this correct and natural?

John didn't know the difference between Rugby and American football. James showed him a video that drove home the difference between the two sports.

If not, how can I make it work?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's OK. The word "demonstrated" works also. (I suppose you could use "explained" but since it's a video "demonstrated" works better.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There's no need to capitalise "rugby" when used to express the simple name of the sport. It's capitalised in official titles such as "Rugby Union", "Rugby League", "Rugby World Cup".

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
The phrase "drive home" is used with something that reinforces something else. It doesn't work for me in your sentence. I'd put it differently.
---
John didn't know the difference between rugby and American football. James explained the difference to him. He also showed him videos of a rugby match and an American football match to drive home the points he'd made.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There's no need to capitalise "rugby" when used to express the simple name of the sport. It's capitalised in official titles such as "Rugby Union", "Rugby League", "Rugby World Cup".
... and also 'Rugby School' and the town called Rugby in Warwickshire.

Status
Not open for further replies.