I was cheated / tricked / deveived. - which form is the most popular?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrwroc

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I paid a man an advance for a trip and he disappered with my money. I was cheated / tricked / deveived. The man was a cheater / fraud.

Can I use in the sentence above each form?

Last edited:
I paid a man an advance for a trip and he disappeared with my money. I was cheated/tricked/deceived.
Note corrections.

The man was a cheater/fraud.
OK, but I would use "cheat" or "fraudster", both of which are appropriate nouns for that context.

Don't put a space on either side of a slash.

cheated / tricked / deceived :cross:
cheated/tricked/deceived :tick:

Cheated, tricked and deceived are too mild.

You were robbed.

Not a teacher

How about swindled?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand the "I met a man in advance for a trip" part. What does that mean?

I don't understand the "I met a man in advance for a trip" part. What does that mean?

It says "I paid a man an advance ...". I can't see your version anywhere.

It says "I paid a man an advance ...". I can't see your version anywhere.

It said that before it was edited. Now the edited version is up.

It said that before it was edited. Now the edited version is up.

Maybe you need to refresh your page more often. The original was posted at 1633 yesterday and it was edited just 5 minutes later, at 1638. Your reply was at 1434 today. It's really odd that you were still able to see the original post 22 hours after it was posted, rather than the edited version.

Deceived is the one that doesn't work for me. If I hand money over, I am cheated/conned or swindled. If I believe a lie that doesn't affect me much, I am deceived.

You were robbed.

In common parlance we use robbed that way, but technically robbery necessarily involves violence or the threat of violence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back