I was constantly getting triggered. / I constantly got triggered.

Marika33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
I found this comment on youtube written by some Tom Fuller, I suppose he's a native English speaker.
Could you please tell me if it's correct to say "I constantly got triggered" instead?

I used to be woke. I was constantly getting triggered. I protested everything that offended me, and demanded it all be cancelled. Finally I grew out of it, and went to preschool.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I found this comment on YouTube, written by someone called Tom Fuller. I suppose assume he's a native English speaker.
Could you please tell me if it's correct to say "I constantly got triggered" instead?

I used to be woke. I was constantly getting triggered. I protested everything that offended me, and demanded it all be cancelled. Finally I grew out of it, and went to preschool.
It's not wrong but the use of continuous adds to the ongoing nature, along with "constantly".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

The answer to that question is yes, but it's not a very productive question. Here's a far better one:

Could you please tell me why the speaker chose to use the past continuous tense in this context?

The answer is that we use the past continuous to talk about characteristic past behaviour. As emsr2d2 has pointed out, this particular use of the past continuous is typically used with a small set of adverb modifiers, 'always' and 'constantly' being the two obvious ones.

Ask less whether things are correct and instead start exploring what led a speaker to select a certain tense/aspect, and what effect it had.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Note too, that the comment is supposed to be a humorous gibe. He's comparing people who get easily triggered and offended to young children throwing tantrums.

It seems like a straightforward confession until the last three words. Only then do we realize the rest was a setup and lead-in to a quip.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I had the same experience.

Marika33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
The answer to that question is yes, but it's not a very productive question. Here's a far better one:

Could you please tell me why the speaker chose to use the past continuous tense in this context?
Maybe it's a far better one, but, unfortunately, it's not what I wanted to know.

I used to have my reasons for using the past continuous, but it turns out that my reasons aren't reasons at all. Moreover, it turns out that there are some reasons (for using the past continuous) that I wouldn't have even thought of, which turn out to be real reasons.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't follow what you're saying. Can you say it again?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This comes up often. Native speakers tend to understand the language implicitly. They choose the words they use -- especially in casual conversation -- without thinking about it much if at all. That's fine. There's nothing wrong with that. But they often lack explicit knowledge. That's why they might have trouble explaining why they used a certain word or words. If you ask them to explain why they used a certain word or words they have to think about it more than they did before they used it or them.

Marika33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
I don't follow what you're saying. Can you say it again?
I'm surprised to find out that the reasons for using the past continuous are not at all what I used to think!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm surprised to find out that the reasons for using the past continuous are not at all what I used to think!

Right, and that's my point in post #3. You need to consider what those reasons are.