Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I encountered the sentence "I was intentionally holding the stopwatch down", but am struggling to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means? Here is the excerpt:

When I arrived at the movie theater, I noticed that the line was shorter than usual. These were not Rohmer’s better films, and the thin audience tonight confirmed it. After purchasing a ticket, I decided to get a grande coffee next door and, without bothering to ask myself why, bought a candy bar. Then I bought her brand of cigarettes. Time, I wanted to think, had stopped last night at the movies, and like a sports trainer, I was intentionally holding the stopwatch down to mark the moment when the race ended, to mark the high point of the week, of the year.

- André Aciman, Eight White Nights, Fifth Night

This is a novel published in the United States of America in 2010. This novel is narrated by the nameless male protagonist. The protagonist meets Clara at a Christmas party in Manhattan. Now, the protagonist is at the movie theatre.

In this part, I wonder what the underlined expression means.
I vaguely guess that it might mean that he held the stopwatch in his hand, towards the downward direction, not towards the upward direction, but I am not sure what "hold the stopwatch down" might mean... o_O

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's symbolism of some kind. Also, you don't hold the stopwatch down. You hold m down the stem (or whatever they call that thing). I guess he means he wanted to hold onto the memory.

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
@Tarheel,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
I was confused why he was holding the stopwatch in his hand down, not up... :D

But then I guess he means that he used the stopwatch to mark the moment, to hold the memory down in his mind, to prevent it from floating away.

Or he might have been holding the mental stem (though I am not sure where that might be :D) down in his hand.

I sincerely appreciate your help. :)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think it was a real stopwatch. It was only in his imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.