Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was late for tonight's English club and my friend asked me why. I said "I was locked in a lift for 30 minutes".

I wonder if the italic sentence is natural. The lift suddenly went out of operation and I could see nothing.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We usually say that we were stuck in a lift. I'm not sure what you mean by "I could see nothing". Did the lights in the lift go out as well? That's very unusual. At the very least, there's usually emergency lighting.

Haven't we asked you before to ask an actual question in your posts? You should have written "Is the italic sentence natural?" From now on, if there is no question in your post, I won't respond. I will simply assume you felt like sharing with us that you were wondering about something.

Last edited:

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Did the lights in the lift go out as well?

Yes.

At the very least, there's usually emergency lighting.

Unluckily, we don't have one here.

You should have written "Is the italic sentence natural?" From now on, if there is no question in your post, I won't respond.

I am sorry but it seems to be the first time you've told me this. Anyway, I'll ask my question in the future threads and I already corrected this one in the following.

Is my italic sentence natural?

"I was locked in a lift for 30 minutes".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say you were stuck in a lift/an elevator.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Legal requirements in many countries require lifts/escalators to be provided with emergency lighting, intercom system and periodic inspections by the authorities to be certified fit for use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, the OP has verified there aren't any emergency lights, so either local code doesn't require them, or they aren't enforced. Either way, that certainly appears lax to me.

Back to the original question at hand - an alternative for 'stuck in the lift' is 'trapped in the lift', especially considering you're in there with no lighting.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with Skrej that "trapped" works too. (I recall a scene from Monk when he kept pushing the button and saying "Lobby lobby lobby" and driving his date crazy. ;-) )

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
so either local code doesn't require them, or they aren't enforced.
Or someone is flouting the regulations and hasn't been caught yet.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with Skrej that "trapped" works too. (I recall a scene from Monk when he kept pushing the button and saying "Lobby lobby lobby" and driving his date crazy. ;-) )

Well, Monk (aka the defective detective) suffered from a laundry list of mental disorders including claustrophobia, OCD and several hundred phobias. I didn't see that particular episode, but I'm surprised he was even in an elevator in the first place, so of course he'd feel trapped. He pretty much drove everyone crazy even on his best days.

Shalhoub did such a fantastic job portraying that character.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I‘ve watched that episode and am currently binge-watching the whole series.:lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.