Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
"Weed! I was smoking her out".

This is from a scene in "Searching", where a girl's uncle is telling his brother (the girl's father) what they had done together. But I didn't understand exactly what it meant. Was it because it was like a secret, or because he was introducing her to weed? Or neither of them?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

This is from a scene in "Searching", where a girl's uncle is telling his brother (the girl's father) what they had done together. But I didn't understand exactly what it meant. Was it because it was [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] a secret, or because he was introducing her to weed? Or neither of them?

Additional context might help. In any case, it is possible that he was trying to discover something. That is, he was trying to uncover a secret of hers.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

This is from a scene in "Searching", where a girl's uncle is telling his brother (the girl's father) what they had done together. But I didn't understand exactly what it meant. Was it because it was like a secret, or because he was introducing her to weed? Or neither of them?

"Weed" is a euphemism for marijuana. To smoke someone out is to get a person high on marijuana.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The following link may be helpful: Link

"The most common use of the phrase “to smoke someone out” is in reference to getting them high on your dime/stash, particularly related to cannabis. Generally, you’re the one with the stash or the cash to go get the stash, and you’re offering to allow another person to partake with you at no cost. Most people get smoked out their first time consuming cannabis with the help of a more experienced smoker."

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
to smoke someone out?

That's evidently an American phrase. We don't use it in the UK. I've never heard it before (and believe me—I would have!)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's a new one since my time, too.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
to smoke someone out?

That's evidently an American phrase. We don't use it in the UK. I've never heard it before (and believe me—I would have!)

I smoked for decades and then stopped. I was never smoked out.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
to smoke someone out?

I haven't heard it recently, though I don't mingle much with pot smokers. It was a common expression, however, in the late 90s, when I was an undergraduate at U.C. Santa Cruz, in Northern California. I always understood smoking someone out as meaning getting a person really high on pot.

It implicitly involves another person. It would sound strange, even to me, to speak of smoking oneself out. You can smoke someone else out, or be smoked out by someone else, but you can't smoke yourself out. If you "get smoked out," at least one other person is involved in the pot-smoking situation.

It also must involve smoking. It is possible to get high on pot without smoking it. Some people make pot brownies, for example. But if you got really high on pot brownies, that would be different, obviously, from getting smoked out.

According to the website at the link below, getting smoked out relates to over-smoking, especially from a bong. Sometimes when new pot smokers take a really long "hit" or "rip" off a tall bong, they wind up coughing quite a bit before settling into "being stoned." Such people have been smoked out.

https://www.badassglass.com/blogs/learn/blunts-vs-bongs

Status
Not open for further replies.