Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I felt cool yesterday afternoon. My stomach feels uncomfortable while I was outside and felt want to vomit. I was vomited at drainage. I felt better after vomit. After that I drank yogurt. When I was home I feel tired and just lay down on bed to rest.

dr.jpg
I was vomited at drainage.
Is ditch, drainage or drain? What we call in the picture above?

"I was vomited at drainage" is completely wrong. Vomit is an active verb: I vomited. Turning to the picture of where you vomited, your proposed choices are also all wrong. I would call that a gutter, but I think this usage varies geographically.

I felt cool yesterday afternoon. My stomach [STRIKE]feels[/STRIKE] felt uncomfortable while I was outside and I felt [STRIKE]want to vomit[/STRIKE] like vomiting. I [STRIKE]was vomited at drainage[/STRIKE] vomited into a drain. I felt better after vomiting. After that, I drank yogurt. When I [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] got home, I [STRIKE]feel[/STRIKE] felt tired and just lay down on the bed to rest.

not a teacher

Last edited by a moderator:
tedmc and jasonree, note that the past tense of "to vomit" is "vomited" and the continuous is "vomiting". The "t" is not doubled. I have corrected the spellings in tedmc's response.

emsr2d2
The spelling is a bit tricky because other similar words are spelt with double 't's'.

remitting
emitting
transmitting
omitting

Vomiting seems to be derived from 'vomite'.

not a teacher

Yes, I am aware that English spelling is a tricky issue! There are plenty of exceptions to every rule. If I had five pounds for every time I have had to correct "focussed" and "focussing" to "focused" and "focusing" when I'm proofreading, I'd be a rich woman!

In all the words listed with a doubled 't', the stress is on the 'ít' in the base form. In 'vomiting', the stress is on 'vom'.

PS: Like 'vomiting', we have: editing, exiting, profiting ..., none of which double the 't' and all of which take the stress on the first (non-ít') syllable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back