Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
'I waved my index and middle finger(s).'

I'm not sure whether I must use singular or plural.

J

J&K Tutoring

If you use the plural fingers, then it is clear that you waved your index finger and you waved your middle finger. If you use the singular finger, then you waved your index and you waved your middle finger. The word index has many meanings. I recommend you use the plural or, better yet, ask yourself why it is so important to specify the fingers waved.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Am I the only person wondering how one waves just two fingers? I can wiggle/waggle those two fingers. I can stick two fingers up at someone (rude). I can make the peace (or victory) sign with those two fingers.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Am I the only person wondering how one waves just two fingers? I can wiggle/waggle those two fingers. I can stick two fingers up at someone (rude). I can make the peace (or victory) sign with those two fingers.

Then, should I say 'I waved my arm with my index and middle fingers extended'?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Why did you do that?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Not where I live.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
That is an answer to your question! It's possible it's a gesture to say goodbye somewhere but now you know it's not in England. Others will have to give their opinion from other parts of the world.

You are the one who brought up the logical inconsistency of waving the fingers. So, should I say 'I waved my arm with the index and middle fingers extended' instead?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't say any of that. I would just say I waved goodbye.

J

J&K Tutoring

The subject in the picture is not what I would call 'waving'. Rather, he is simply holding up two fingers. Any meaning to such a symbol would have to be understood by both parties. No one else cares.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the bigger problem is the verb 'wave'. When we make various gestures or symbols such as those in the picture, we don't normally refer to 'waving' them. Depending upon the particular gesture in question, we might 'flip', 'flash', 'shake', 'show', 'make', or even 'give' a particular gesture.

You might 'wave' your hand or some other object you're holding in your hand, but you can't really 'wave' individual fingers. You can 'wiggle', 'waggle', or maybe even 'shake' them, but not really wave fingers.

I don't know what that particular gesture in the picture is called or what it represents, (although it looks like some kind of yoga gesture or martial arts pose) so the best I can suggest is 'He held up his first two fingers." If it has a particular name, then "He made the ??? sign".

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I think the bigger problem is the verb 'wave'. When we make various gestures or symbols such as those in the picture, we don't normally refer to 'waving' them. Depending upon the particular gesture in question, we might 'flip', 'flash', 'shake', 'show', 'make', or even 'give' a particular gesture.

You might 'wave' your hand or some other object you're holding in your hand, but you can't really 'wave' individual fingers. You can 'wiggle', 'waggle', or maybe even 'shake' them, but not really wave fingers.

I don't know what that particular gesture in the picture is called or what it represents, (although it looks like some kind of yoga gesture or martial arts pose) so the best I can suggest is 'He held up his first two fingers." If it has a particular name, then "He made the ??? sign".

I already told you it is a gesture of goodbye. How about 'waved arm with index and middle fingers held up'?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I already told you it is a gesture of goodbye.

We've already told you, it's not one anybody knows or uses. IF it really does mean goodbye, then it's merely a product of the fictional manga work the still is taken from.

How about 'waved arm with index and middle fingers held up'?

No, that's not grammatical, nor natural. As I've already suggested, give up on using 'wave' if you insist on describing the fingers and their position. It's confusing and counter-intuitive.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
We've already told you, it's not one anybody knows or uses. IF it really does mean goodbye, then it's merely a product of the fictional manga work the still is taken from.

It doesn't matter if you know it. I didn't know it either before seeing it there. Just answer me this: If I want to describe both the waving of the hand AND the position of the fingers, what do I say? 'Waved arm with two fingers extended/held up together'? There has to be a way to say it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You'd have to say something like "I extended my first two fingers and gestured goodbye in the style of a character in a Manga comic". That way, people who read those comics will know what you mean and the rest of us will just understand that you did something you think means the same as waving goodbye.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There has to be a way to say it.

Yes, myself and several others have offered a number of ways. However, just because none of them use the word 'wave', you refuse to accept them.

Ergo, say whatever you want. I have no further interest in trying to help, as I find your tone petulant and insulting.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Yes, myself and several others have offered a number of ways. However, just because none of them use the word 'wave', you refuse to accept them.

Ergo, say whatever you want. I have no further interest in trying to help, as I find your tone petulant and insulting.

What you don't understand is that I want to describe both the waving motion and the position of the fingers. I don't want to simplify my sentences and end up writing like a little child. Since none of you has a proper answer, I'll find a good way to phrase it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.