I went through Camille in 1969 and Katrina in 2005, where/when I lost everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiuJing

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"I went through Hurricane Camille in 1969 and Hurricane Katrina in 2005, where I lost everything, and every other hurricane in between those two that came through," he said in a CNN iReport.

Relentless Hurricane Isaac 'not even half over' - CNN.com

I would like to ask if I can replace the 'where' with 'when' without changing the meaning.

Another related question, if I want to use 'during which time' to replace the 'where', would it be more correct to use 'during which times', considering we are talking about two incidents? Thank you.

Yes, you can use "when" instead of "where."

I don't think he is talking about "losing everything" both times. Only with Katrina.

"During which times" is not natural if he meant he lost everything twice.

If he meant only during Katrina he lost everything you could say "during which time," but why do that? It sounds unnatural.

Yes, you can use "when" instead of "where."

I don't think he is talking about "losing everything" both times. Only with Katrina.

"During which times" is not natural if he meant he lost everything twice.

If he meant only during Katrina he lost everything you could say "during which time," but why do that? It sounds unnatural.

Do you mean the following sentence would sound unnatural to you?:

I went through Hurricane Katrina in 2005, during which time I lost everything and had to move into a FEMA trailer afterwards.

The English is OK, but I think most people would simply say "where" or "when" and not turn one word into a phrase.

I would be happy enough if "during which" were used, but without "time".

I went through Hurricane Katrina, during which I lost everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back