Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The form go is a present-tense form. It does not show aspect. I have said this before, but you seem to be ignoring it.

I'm just drawing on the article you gave me the link to.

Does the habitual characteristic in I will occasionally have an argument with my four-year-old mean a regularly repeated event, while the absence of will means the event is repeated irregularly (1...2........3..4......5.................6)?

Or maybe will adds a sense of anticipation/predictability in the first place.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Does the habitual characteristic in I will occasionally have an argument with my four-year-old mean a regular event, while the absence of will means the event is irregular?

The habitual characteristic of 'I' is shown by will. The frequency is shown by occasionally. Nothing in that sentence specifically says that this is a regular occurrence; occasionally suggests it is not.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Sorry, I changed my reply #25 a bit while you were writing your response.

The habitual characteristic of 'I' is shown by will

In what sense is habitual characterizing the subject? Isn't it the action that is habitual?

The frequency is shown by occasionally. Nothing in that sentence specifically says that this is a regular occurrence; occasionally suggests it is not.

The sentence describes an irregularly repeating action that is habitual in the sense that it's a constant part of their relationships and life. So is it in the variant without will. That's why I'm asking what meaning will adds.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Or maybe will adds a sense of anticipation/predictability in the first place.

Once the speaker has said the words I will occasionally have an argument with my four year old about the size of microbes, we can reasonably predict future arguments. However we can also predict future arguments if the speaker says I occasionally have an argument with my four year old about the size of microbes. Don't make the mistake of trying to read too much meaning into just the use of a verb form.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In what sense is habitual characterizing the subject? Isn't it the action that is habitual?.
The action is habitual. It is a characteristic of the subject of the verb that this is so.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Please consider these examples:

1) I will occasionally have an argument with my son, but I like that.
2) I occasionally have an argument with my son, but I like that.

3) I will occasionally have an argument with my son, although I don't like that.
4) I occasionally have an argument with my son, although I don't like that.

Which of them sound better to you?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
None of them is 'better'. They say different things.

If you like what you do with your son in the first two, discussion would be better than argument.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
They say different things.

What's the difference?

In #23 I said both will occasionally have and occasionally have mean habitual actions in the sense that having an argument is part of the speaker and his four-year-old relationships. Do you agree with that? If not, would you please elaborate on what exactly you disagree with?

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I only like 4. Number 9 is not stated or implied.

But the big question is: Why would you argue with a four-year-old about the size of microbes?

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can't he jokingly imply "I'm a bit tired of it"?

There's nothing in the sentence that implies it.

He obviously doesn't mean an academic dispute.

I (obviously?) didn't, either.

People sometimes jokingly use strong words.

Yes, we do. What strong words in the video are you thinking of?
I just listened to the recording to find out the context. He doesn't sound like he's annoyed or tired of it at all. It sounds like he enjoys the conversations.

So number 9 does not apply.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What's the difference?
See post 10

In #23 I said both will occasionally have and occasionally have mean habitual actions in the sense that having an argument is part of the speaker and his four-year-old relationships. Do you agree with that? ?
In that sense, yes. I don't think there is anything in either of the verb forms that have anything to do with the relationship. It's the situation of their having occasional arguments that does.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
What strong words in the video are you thinking of?

Argument. As 5jj stated above if you enjoy conversations, discussion is a better choice, which means that the speaker used argument as a humorous exaggeration.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
See post 10

We've come back to the starting point, unfortunately. I think we can stop here. Thank your for your patience anyway!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Argument. As 5jj stated above if you enjoy conversations, discussion is a better choice, which means that the speaker used argument as a humorous exaggeration.
Aha! It didn't seem like a strong word to me in that context.

As Goes has pointed out elsewhere, it's probably because of my formative New York years.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We've come back to the starting point, unfortunately. I think we can stop here.

You've given up surprisingly early this time!

The question still remains, and I think it's a good one.

I really like 5jj's term 'habitual characteristic', but unfortunately we haven't got to what it actually means. I'm happy to carry on the discussion, if you're interested in my take on this. I'd also be very interested to see how similar/different my understanding of what it means is from 5jj's.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I haven't really thought about 'habitual characteristic' in the sense of closely defining it. Perhaps I should have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What about the mood or emotional aspect?

Generally speaking, is it possible that adding or removing a modal verb wouldn't affect the meaning of a sentence at all?
Tarheel and I think that the sentence would mean the same thing either way, in the sense that the facts are the same.

What changes might be what Jutfrank calls its aspect, and I might not fully appreciate the significance of that. My unschooled opinion is that his use of will signals that he's imagining, recalling, or visualizing. Without will, he would simply reporting. (Jut, if you're reading this, you can tell me whether I'm on the right track.)

But his use of will there certainly doesn't say anything about his mood. With or without it, it would be clear that he enjoys showing his kid things in the microscope and talking about them — a typical dad!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Habitual actions are intentional. The speaker and his four year old will have an argument regularly and by intention. Or at least they can control the process.
What idea will convey will if we talk about unexpected, uncontrolled events that do not depend on someone's will/intention/plans? For example:

I will occasionally find/notice new plants in the forest.

There's nothing intentional here. This shows that will is not used in its volitional sense. Both the original sentence and the sentence about finding plants use will in its epistemic sense. I think a good way of understanding this is by the notion of predictability. Both arguing with the child and finding plants are in some way predictable outcomes of looking at microbes and walking in the forest, respectively. That's what the extra modality brings that the normal present simple sentences don't have—the speaker's attitude about the possibility of the outcomes.

Does that make sense?

OK, some habitual actions are unintentional and subconscious. But even these ones are still regular by definition and can, in principle, be recognized and put under control because we have an active doer/agent in this case. While in my forest example noticing is a random event and the subject is just a passive recipient of visual information. New plants catch his/her eye accidentally, randomly. That's not a habit in any sense.

I don't agree it's random. On the contrary, I think there's an idea that the outcomes are to some degree predictable. In other words, they're characteristic outcomes.

Does habitual characteristic have a definition?

That's what we're trying to do here—get to what it means insofar as it relates to this use of will.

I'm asking because there is a grammar terms called habitual aspect used to indicate actions that occur regularly or repeatedly. The Present Simple usually indicates that aspect. But 5jj didn't use that term, from which I conclude he meant something else.

I will occasionally have an argument with my four-year-old about the size of microbes.
I occasionally have an argument with my four-year-old about the size of microbes.

The latter has the habitual aspect, but according to 5jj it doesn't have the habitual characteristic. I don't understand what exactly that should mean.

This term is normally used of the used to form, and sometimes of would to denote past habitual action:

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/287575-Tense-and-Aspect-7-The-Habitual-Aspect
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habitual_aspect#English

In itself, it doesn't. Simple tense forms do not show aspect.I used the adjective habitual and the noun characteristic to mean what they normally mean.It doesn't. There is no auxiliary there to indicate aspect.

Personally, I don't think the notion of grammatical aspect can shed any light on this at all. We need a semantic analysis. If we're going to use the idea of aspect at all, it should relate to modality (i.e. semantics), not grammar.

The habitual aspect isn't stick to the past, right? I go to the park every day is also habitual.

Where does it say that aspect requires an auxiliary verb? Here's what the wiki article says: "Habitual aspect is frequently expressed in unmarked form in English, as in I walked to work every day for ten years, I walk to work every day."

The form go is a present-tense form. It does not show aspect. I have said this before, but you seem to be ignoring it.

I think that I go to the park every day does show aspect, but not in the normal sense that grammarians talk about. (Anyway, that's a separate discussion, I think, and not relevant to this question.) We're talking about the modality of will.

The habitual characteristic of 'I' is shown by will.

I don't know what this comment means. Is it anything to do with subject-orientation, i.e., as with volitional will?

I don't think the habitual characteristic is really about 'I', but rather about the outcome of my having arguments with my 4-year-old child.

In what sense is habitual characterizing the subject? Isn't it the action that is habitual?

I think so, yes. It characterises the possible outcome.

The sentence describes an irregularly repeating action that is habitual in the sense that it's a constant part of their relationships and life.

I basically agree. This repeatability is understood as predictability. Given a certain situation (walking in the forest), it is noticed that there is a predictable outcome. The frequency word occasionally tells us something about the 'strength' of this predictability. So it's the predictability of the outcome that is characteristic.

So is it in the variant without will.

But the version without will lacks the modality. It lacks the speaker's understanding of how the outcome is predictable. In the version with will, the speaker is saying that the outcome is characteristic.

Once the speaker has said the words I will occasionally have an argument with my four year old about the size of microbes, we can reasonably predict future arguments.

Yes, I think this is what I'm saying too. Any future instances of my having discussion about microbes with my child can be reasonably predicted to end up with an argument. It's in this sense that the outcome is characteristic.

The action is habitual. It is a characteristic of the subject of the verb that this is so.

This is perhaps the only place I can see we disagree then. I don't think it's characteristic of the subject.

I haven't really thought about 'habitual characteristic' in the sense of closely defining it. Perhaps I should have,

Please let me know where you think what I've said is wrong, or badly worded.

Status
Not open for further replies.