Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Which should I use "will" or "would" when I answer a question? Since the situation is real, I use "will" here.

A: Does "openings" here mean chance?
Chelsea still dominating the ball so far, but Norwich having a few more openings.
B: I will / would interpret it as "opportunities."

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, "openings" means "chances" or " opportunities".

Use "would" there.

Forget about using "questioner" in ordinary speech.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Could you explain why "will" can't be used? That is a real question, it should be "I will interpret it as ..."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tell me why you what to use "will." Are you making a prediction?

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Tell me why you what to use "will." Are you making a prediction?
I'm not making a predition. Because the question is present tense not past tense, so I say "I will interpret it as ..."

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Could you explain why "will" can't be used?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You said you're not making a prediction. Are you stating your intention to do something? Why do you want to use "will" there?

Last edited:

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
You don't seem to understand what I mean. I don't use "would" because it's talking about the past here. That's why I choose using "will".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You don't seem to understand what I mean. I don't use "would" because it's talking about the past here. That's why I choose using "will".
You seem to be overlooking the use of "would" to refer to the future. Do you know about hypotheticals?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Besides being the past tense of "will", "would" also means "is likely/inclined to".
I think you can also use the present tense - I interpret it as "opportunities".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You don't seem to understand what I mean. I don't use "would" because it's talking about the past here. That's why I choose TO USE "will".
Rules are inflexible. I don't use rules to make my word choices. I use my intuition.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Do you know about hypotheticals?
I don't know. But why do you think "will" is unnatural here? "I wout interpret it as ..." is the past of "will". So the version with "will" is my choice.

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
But why do you think "will" is unnatural here? "I wout interpret it as ..." is the past of "will".
Would is the distanced form of will. The distancing may be in

time: John will often spend hours in his room drawing. As a child, John would often spend hours in his room drawing.
likelihood: If Fred comes, we'll go to the pub. If Fred came, we'd go the pub.
reality: Biden will win the bext election. Obama would win the next election if he were permitted to run.
directness: Will you drive me to the airport? Would you drive me to the airport?

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Would is the distanced form of will. The distancing may be in

time: John will often spend hours in his room drawing. As a child, John would often spend hours in his room drawing.
likelihood: If Fred comes, we'll go to the pub. If Fred came, we'd go the pub.
reality: Biden will win the bext election. Obama would win the next election if he were permitted to run.
directness: Will you drive me to the airport? Would you drive me to the airport?
After I see your explanation, I believe "I will interpret it as ..." is correct. (Reality). I'm talking about a real situation. But why do you choose "would"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Which should I use "will" or "would" when I answer a question? Since the situation is real, I use "will" here.

A: Does "openings" here mean chance?
Chelsea still dominating the ball so far, but Norwich having a few more openings.
B: I will / would interpret it as "opportunities."
Two things. One, you edited your post after I posted mine. That makes part of my post look silly. 🫤 Two, I've been trying to tell you that "will" is the wrong choice there, but you need an explanation. Your post doesn't state that an explanation is needed. (I'm not getting paid enough for that.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We're clearly not explaining this in a way you understand. Nonetheless, no native speaker would say "I will interpret it as ..." there. We'd say either "I interpret it as ...", expressing that that is how we're interpreting it right now, or "I would interpret it as ...". It's closest to Piscean's "distance in reality" so you could think of it as "If you asked me to interpret it (as you just did), I would interpret it as ...". That's the best I can do. If that doesn't make sense to you, all I can say is remember what I said at the start of this post - no native speaker would say "I will interpret ..." there.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
We're clearly not explaining this in a way you understand. Nonetheless, no native speaker would say "I will interpret it as ..." there. We'd say either "I interpret it as ...", expressing that that is how we're interpreting it right now, or "I would interpret it as ...". It's closest to Piscean's "distance in reality" so you could think of it as "If you asked me to interpret it (as you just did), I would interpret it as ...". That's the best I can do. If that doesn't make sense to you, all I can say is remember what I said at the start of this post - no native speaker would say "I will interpret ..." there.
Well, "will" doesn't make sense here. When can we use "will" in such context? Could you give an example sentence or a dialogue with "will" so that I can see the difference?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Kontol I don't understand. If you agree that it doesn't make sense there, why do you insist on using it?

I already gave you a couple of examples of when it might be used. You're not making a prediction or stating your intentions.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
I meant could you give an example sentence that makes sense by using "will" other than the example above?