I would have dashed/would dash to the exit.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
John: All passengers escaped from this air crash.
Lily:
1. If that happened on a HK carrier and I was on board, I would have dashed to the exit.
2. If that happened on a HK carrier and I was on board, I would dash to the exit.

Are both 1 and 2 correct? If not, what's the difference?
I feel like 1. is describing a more specific event while 2. is describe a more general situation.

John: All passengers escaped from this air crash.
Lily:
1. If that HAD happened on a HK carrier and I was on board, I would have dashed to the exit.
2. If that happened on a HK carrier and I was on board, I would dash to the exit.

Are both 1 and 2 correct? If not, what's the difference?
I feel like 1. is describing a more specific event while 2. is describe a more general situation.
Both describe a specific event that is hypothetical.

@Maybo, do you know the typical structure of, and difference between, the second and third conditionals?

@Maybo, do you know the typical structure of, and difference between, the second and third conditionals?
Yes, but I'm not sure if my concept is clear. 🙈

OK.
Second conditional:
If that happened on a HK carrier and I was on board, I would dash to the exit.
That describes an unlikely (but not impossible) scenario. The use of the past tense in the first part indicates low likelihood (not time).

Third conditional:
If that had happened on a HK carrier and I was on board, I would have dashed to the exit.
That describes an unreal situation in the past - a situation which did not happen. We are just thinking about an imaginary scenario.

Since the accident didn't happen in Hong Kong and it's impossible to change, I should use "If that had happened on a HK carrier and I was on board, I would have dashed to the exit." Am I right?

Back