Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Which of the following is correct?

1- I would like to thank the sales' department head Ahmed and his co-workers John and Adam.
2- I would like to thank the sales department, represented by its head Ahmed and his co-workers John and Adam.
3- I would like to thank the sales department, represented by his excellency Ahmed and his co-workers John and Adam.
4- I would like to thank the sales department who represented by his excellency Ahmed and his co-workers John and Adam.
5- I would like to thank the sales department that represented by his excellency Ahmed and his co-workers John and Adam.

Is represented in 2 and 3 reduced adjective clause or reduced relative clause?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If Ahmed is entitled to be called 'His Excellency' (click here to see who qualifies for that honorific, which should always be capitalised), he's unlikely to be head of a sales department.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
If Ahmed is entitled to be called 'His Excellency' (click here to see who qualifies for that honorific, which should always be capitalised), he's unlikely to be head of a sales department.
Should I change the word "Excellency" to "head" ?

In Arabic, it is common to name the president of university and dean of college "His Excellency". I agree that in English it is used with high rank diplomats and with princes and kings if I am not mistaken.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would be inclined to keep the Arabic for "His Excellency" and say it (in Arabic) before his name. If there's not a translation that really works when you change it to English, I think it would make sense to leave it as it is.

If I were giving a speech in French (for example), and I needed to introduce a British person called Sir John Smith, I would probably say "Mesdames et messieurs, je vous présente Sir John Smith, du Royaume Uni". I wouldn't try to translate "Sir" into French.