Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Austria
Current Location
Austria
Hello guys, I am seeking an Idiom which would mean "you know your job"

- Hello, have you heard that I'd passed that exam?
- Oh, dude, you know your job

I wonder if it sounds ok and can be used in this context if not I'd be happy to see what is the right way to convey this idea

Thank you!:roll:

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
Hello Rin Power,

Welcome to the forum. :)

To use an English idiom correctly, will probably depend on where the other person is from.

If they use British English (BrE), then to me, "Oh, dude, you know your job", does not work. It may, however, work in American English, or in any of the equally valid English variations from around the world. Members from those regions, may be able to provide you with an idiom which works for them.

If the person you are addressing is a BrE speaker, and you know them well, the first colloquial thing that popped into my head was:

"Well done mate! You certainly know your onions." https://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/know+your+onions.html

That is very informal, and I have pitched the tone to match the very friendly one you used. It probably sounds bizarre as a phrase, but I think it's quite commonly used. It simply means that they are an expert in what they do, with a great deal of knowledge.

A more formal way of saying it would be to replace, "Well done mate!", in my example, with "Congratulations!" or just "Well done!"

Does that help?

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps "You really know your stuff" might work.
But... it just sounds odd.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
We also use that phrase in BrE, but usually in a slightly different context. It may be the same in AmE, perhaps, which might be why it seems odd to you to use it in this situation.

"You really know your stuff", is used in BrE as a form of general praise when talking directly to, or about, a person or group of people:

"Barb_D can write well, she really knows her stuff", or, if someone is another form of expert, or very skilled amateur, "Steve really knows his stuff when it comes to computers", or, "Wow! What an amazing collection, you really know your stuff.".

We don't tend to use it when directly congratulating someone who has just specifically passed an exam.

It's probably odd sounding because, in BrE, even though there is no real reason why we shouldn't say it in this context, we just probably wouldn't. I wouldn't naturally anyway.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello guys, I am seeking an idiom which would mean "You know your job".

- Hello, have you heard that I'd passed that exam?
- Oh, dude, you know your job.

I wonder if it sounds [strike]ok[/strike] OK and can be used in this context. If not, I'd be happy to see what is the right way to convey this idea.

Thank you!:roll:

Remember to use punctuation at the ends of sentences.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Your know your job" doesn't work there for me in AmE.

Rin Power

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Austria
Current Location
Austria
Thanks everyone for answering. It helped me :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.