Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

This exercise is from the book Reading Challenge by Casey Malarcher. Why does the book call these phrasal verbs idioms?

''Find these idioms in the reading. find out (about) [ to learn (of) ] Hey, I just found out that class is cancelled tomorrow. catch on [ to become popular ] In the 1990s, cell phones really caught on. dig in [ to begin eating with excitement ] The child was very hungry, so he dug in before his parents satdown''.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Because many phrasal verbs can also be considered idioms and vice versa, e.g. zoom in, hold on, work out, log in, wrap up.

Robbadob

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Colombia
How was my comment unhelpulf but not Piscean's? Not only is it unhelpulf, but conspicuosly snide.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Because Piscean's, while perhaps tinged with sarcasm, was actually a fairly reasonable suggestion. We can't possibly explain why the author chose to use that term. Your post, however, was simply snarky, sarcastic and actually quite rude to Piscean.
You're not a native speaker of English so, quite possibly, you can't yet discern the difference.

Robbadob

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Colombia
I took it up a notch.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I took it up a notch.

And that was totally unnecessary. You are still fairly new to the forum. It would be a good idea to stick, for now, to asking questions about language and giving responses when they are helpful and correct.

I am closing this thread before anything escalates unnecessarily. The OP's question has been answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.