Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Frank says to Billy:

Frank: Makes me curious to see you in this neighborhood. And if I can slander my own environment...it makes me sad, this regression. Plus, I don't know if it's beyond some f*cking cop prick like Queenan...to pull you out of the staties and send you after me.

what does "it" in "it's beyond" mean?
so Frank is wondering if it is possible whether Queenan sent Billy after Frank? If it was “beyond,” that would mean it was not possible, but Frank isn’t sure?

Source: The Departed is a 2006 American crime film directed by Martin Scorsese and written by William Monahan.

Last edited:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The situation, or possibility of Billy being a mole planted by Qeenan. Which of course he is.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Frank says to Billy:

Frank: Makes me curious to see you in this neighborhood. And if I can slander my own environment...it makes me sad, this regression. Plus, I don't know if it's beyond some f*cking cop prick like Queenan...to pull you out of the staties and send you after me.

what does "it" in "it's beyond" mean?
so Frank is wondering if it is possible whether Queenan sent Billy after Frank? If it was “beyond,” that would mean it was not possible, but Frank isn’t sure?

Source: The Departed is a 2006 American crime film directed by Martin Scorsese and written by William Monahan.
"It" is a dummy subject.
"I don't know if it's beyond some f*cking cop prick like Queenan...to pull you out of the staties and send you after me."
This means:
"I don't know if pulling you out of the staties and sending you after me is beyond some f*cking cop prick like Queenan."

"It's not something I'd do, lying to the cops" = "Lying to the cops is not something I'd do."
What's a "statie"?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What's a "statie"?

It's slang for a State Trooper - police with jurisdiction throughout an entire state instead of just one county or municipality.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd take beyond to mean greater than their talent, though this implies that they could as it's negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.