Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
If you look into the metal lattice from the other side, you can only see the green curtain. Anything else you think you're seeing is your imagination! Behind the green curtain are four structures - the last of them being some of the original walls of Aishah (r) that have been fortified by Umayyad engineering.

Could anyone please explain the part in bold? That line seems hard to understand for me.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Dukul12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'll rephrase the sentence with a standard structure:

The last of the four structures is some of the original walls of Aishah.

You can see that the word being is acting in the same way as the word is in my rephrase. This is due to the fact that the bold phrase is a participle clause, so an -ing form is required.

Dukul12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I'll rephrase the sentence with a standard structure:

The last of the four structures is some of the original walls of Aishah.

You can see that the word being is acting in the same way as the word is in my rephrase. This is due to the fact that the bold phrase is a participle clause, so an -ing form is required.

I think it means there are four structures behind the green curtain AND THE LAST OF THESE STRUCTURES ARE some of the original walls of Aishah. These walls have been foritified. Am I right jutfrank? I have asked one of my teachers about why the writer used the word "being"? He said "The writer decided to use a non-finite clause as part of the sentence rather than write a new sentence with a full clause. But I am not sure how and why he (the writer) used that non-finite clause. Could you please explain it?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That's right.

Your teacher has already told you why the writer did that. It's a way of tagging information on at the end of a sentence rather than saying a new one with a finite clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.