If you think/start thinking you're smarter than everyone you're partly uneducated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I was talking about self-help books with someone and he goes to the gym I said books are like supplements they work only if you put in the work. This is what I said next:

1) "If you drink whey protein but don't workout, it won't help you much to build muscle."
2) "If you start drinking whey protein but don't workout, it won't help you much to build muscle."

I always get confused giving examples like this. I feel like I should use 2 ('ing') since I'm talking about drinking starting from now and since he doesn't actually drink whey protein. But then again it's just an example.

I said the following to someone:
3) "If you think you're smarter than everyone you're partly uneducated"
4) "If you start thinking that you're smarter than everyone...."

The same problem with this one. He doesn't actually think that he's smarter than everyone. I was just giving an example.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Workout" is a noun. The verb you're looking for is "work out". This is a common pattern with compound nouns and nouns that started life as compounds. "Workout" probably began as "work-out". When such nouns become common, which often happens very quickly, they usually lose the hyphen and get joined into a single word. The verb usually remains two words.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
"Workout" is a noun. The verb you're looking for is "work out". This is a common pattern with compound nouns and nouns that started life as compounds. "Workout" probably began as "work-out". When such nouns become common, which often happens very quickly, they usually lose the hyphen and get joined into a single word. The verb usually remains two words.
Thank you very much for pointing this out. But this doesn't actually answer my question :-?
When giving examples do I use the continuous tense?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was talking about self-help books with someone who goes to the gym. I said books are like supplements. They work only if you put in the work. This is what I said next:

1) "If you drink whey protein but don't work out, it won't help you much to build muscle."
2) "If you start drinking whey protein but don't work out, it won't help you much to build muscle."

I always get confused giving examples like this. I feel like I should use 2 ('ing'), since I'm talking about drinking starting from now and since he doesn't actually drink whey protein. But then again it's just an example.

I said the following to someone:
3) "If you think you're smarter than everyone else, you're poorly educated/mininformed/conceited/wrong/ignorant."
4) "If you start thinking that you're smarter than everyone...."

The same problem with that one. He doesn't actually think that he's smarter than everyone. I was just giving an example.
Workout is a noun. Work out is a verb phrase.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
The tenses/aspects in all your sentences are OK. They are all general statements; #1 and #3 don't imply that the person addressed is actually doing these things.
Someone told me that 1 and 3 would be the better options for examples like these. Would you agree with it?

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
3) "If you think you're smarter than everyone else, you're poorly educated/mininformed/conceited/wrong/ignorant."

Can you please tell me what's wrong with 'partly uneducated?'

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can you please tell me what's wrong with 'partly uneducated?'
It doesn't mean anything. There's no such thing as 100% educated or 100% uneducated, so there's no such thing as partly educated or partly uneducated.

Status
Not open for further replies.