Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I go to an online chatroom on Tiktok every day. I've been talking with them for two weeks and I am a bit tired, I want to take a break. However, I'm still there every day because I can just listen to them.

Today I went to the chatroom again and because they haven't seen me talking with them for a while, they asked me, Silver, why not come and join us? And I said:

I prefer to listen; I want to rest my throat.

Is my italic sentence good?

stanislaw.masny

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I would say, "I prefer to listen, I want to save my throat."

Not a teacher.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I go to visit/use an online chatroom on TikTok every day. I've been talking with them on it or two weeks and I am a bit tired; I want to take a break. However, I'm still there I [can] still visit every day because I can just listen to them the others chatting.

Today, I went to the chatroom. again and Because they the other users haven't seen heard me talking with them for a while, they asked me no comma here "Silver, why not come and don't you join us in? And I said replied:

Is my italic sentence good correct and natural?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Call me an old fart but I honestly didn't realise that "chatrooms" involved people actually physically speaking to each other! I thought they were text-based (like this forum).

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Call me an old fart but I honestly didn't realise that "chatrooms" involved people actually physically speaking to each other! I thought they were text-based (like this forum).
Tiktok has that function: people can chat with each other. It's not a chatroom, strictly speaking. It's an online meeting.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hmm, I notice that you don't correct my sentence, emsr2d2:

And I think it's okay.

But just now I used Google and I found that there were a few examples of "rest one's throat". I used this phrase because I heard someone say "rest my eyes" so I made "rest my throat" up.

Since you're authoritative here and you're a professional teacher. I hope you can confirm this for me.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Stanislaw.masny, when replying to threads, please state that you are not a teacher, as required by the rules.

Silverobama, for the second time: TikTok.

I’d say ‘… I want so save my voice’.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I didn't correct your sentence because there was nothing wrong with it!
One last question about this one. A friend of mine said it's better to say "I prefer to listen; I want to rest my voice" after he read the sentence in the OP. Will that also be okay? I think "rest one's voice" is okay for singers, perhaps.

Anyway, emsr2d2, I am not challenging you, instead, I respect and admire you, your meticulousness and knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.