Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Should I use "in" or "at" before "church" use the definite article before Mtkvari and "pagan cult?" Isn't "river" or "rivers" optional?

"She was in Gudauri, in the Ananuri church in January. There the rivers freeze over and people skate on them. An interesting place in Georgia is Mtskheta. The city is located at the confluence of the Aragvi and Mtkvari rivers. It is the center of a/the pagan cult. Tourists can see the sights, taste the national food and see the surroundings."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Should I use "in" or "at" before "church", and should I use the definite article before Mtkvari and "pagan cult?" Isn't "river" or "rivers" optional? Are both "river" and "rivers" possible?

"She was in Gudauri, in the Ananuri church in January. There, the rivers freeze over and people skate on them. An interesting place in Georgia is Mtskheta. The city is located at the confluence of the Aragvi and Mtkvari rivers. It is the center of a /the pagan cult. Tourists can see the sights, taste the national food and see the surroundings enjoy the local area."

Note my changes above.

If she's simply visiting the church, not attending a service, I'd use "in".
You don't need to repeat "the" before "Mtkvari".
Use "a pagan cult". There are many pagan cults and you're referring to just one of them.
In sentence #2, you need "rivers" and "them" if there is more than one river in Gudauri. If there's just one river, use "river" and "it".
"See the surroundings" isn't natural.

I'd move the information about the cult to the end. It feels awkward to have it trapped between the location and the highlights.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Note my changes above.

If she's simply visiting the church, not attending a service, I'd use "in".
You don't need to repeat "the" before "Mtkvari".
Use "a pagan cult". There are many pagan cults and you're referring to just one of them.
In sentence #2, you need "rivers" and "them" if there is more than one river in Gudauri. If there's just one river, use "river" and "it".
"See the surroundings" isn't natural.

I'd move the information about the cult to the end. It feels awkward to have it trapped between the location and the highlights.

Sorry, do you mean "there" in "there the rivers freeze over" is wrong and I should use "the" instead? and in this sentence below are "rivers" and "the" optional before Mtkvari? "The city is located at the confluence of the Aragvi and Mtkvari rivers."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry, do you mean "there" in "there the rivers freeze over" is wrong and I should use "the" instead?
If I meant that, I would have changed "There" to "The" in my first response. It wouldn't make sense to say "The the rivers freeze over"! My correction was to show you that there should be a comma after "There".

and Also, in this the sentence below, are "rivers" and "the" optional before Mtkvari?
"The city is located at the confluence of the Aragvi and Mtkvari rivers."

They're not optional. If you don't use "the" and "rivers", you get "It is located at the confluence of Aragvi and Mtkvari". That wouldn't make sense to anyone who doesn't know they're rivers (even though "confluence" is a clue).

You should say:

There, the rivers freeze over and people skate on them. (That's if there is more than one river.)
There, the river freezes over and people skate on it. (That's if there is just one river.)
It is located at the confluence of the Aragvi and Mtkvari rivers. (You got this right in the original.)

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Should I use "in" or "at" before "church" use the definite article before Mtkvari and "pagan cult?" Isn't "river" or "rivers" optional?

"She was in Gudauri, in at the Ananuri church in January. There, the rivers freeze over and people skate. on them. An interesting place in Georgia is Mtskheta. The city is located at the confluence of the Aragvi and Mtkvari rivers (OK). It is the center of a/the pagan cult. Tourists can see the sights, taste the national food and see the surroundings."
Suggestions.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If there is one pagan cult in the text and it has been mentioned before, then the pagan cult would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.