[Grammar] In or By

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 3,632
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

I need some clarification on beginning a sentence with the prepositions in and by.

Which is correct and why?

In being selected for this noteworthy distinction.....
By being selected for this noteworthy distinction.....

In receiving this noteworthy distinction....
By receiving this noteworthy distinction....

I need some clarification on beginning a sentence with the prepositions in and by.

Which is correct and why?

In being selected for this noteworthy distinction.....
By being selected for this noteworthy distinction.....

In receiving this noteworthy distinction....
By receiving this noteworthy distinction....

They are all possible.

Is one more correct and/or preferred?
Not unless there's a context. It would depend on the rest of the sentence in the semi-examples you've given.

Not unless there's a context. It would depend on the rest of the sentence in the semi-examples you've given.

[FONT=&quot]In/By receiving/being selected for this noteworthy distinction, you have been recognized as a dynamic member of your community[/FONT].

Can you explain what makes "in" or "by" correct using this sentence?

Thanks!

[FONT=&quot]In/By receiving/being selected for this noteworthy distinction, you have been recognized as a dynamic member of your community[/FONT].

Can you explain what makes "in" or "by" correct using this sentence?

Thanks!
In your actual sentence you could use either.
Here are some differences.
1. By being selected, you have achieved a great honour. (As a result of being selected ...). You could possibly use 'in' here.2. In being selected, all of your attributes were considered. (In the process of being selected ...) You can't use "by" here.
3. By receiving this distinction, you promise to obey the relevant code of conduct. You could possibly use 'in' here, but 'by' is meant.
The problem with "By/In receiving this distinction ..." is that this is something the community member does. It can be seen to mean "By accepting this distinction from us ..." (3.) rather than "By being awarded this distinction by us ..." which I think is what you mean.

For your sentence, I would choose [FONT=&quot]4. "By being selected for this noteworthy distinction, you have been recognized as a dynamic member of your community[/FONT]."

Here are some more pairs that show the difference between "By doing something" and "In doing something":
5. By catching the cricket ball, he got the last man out.
6. In catching the cricket ball, he broke his finger.
7. By climbing through the window, he managed to get inside.
8. In climbing through the window, he managed to cut himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back