Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I'm wondering if "in question" can be used in my sentence. Have I made any mistakes? I am not sure if "you're like a brother to me" natural.

Professor Philips' promotion was in question after a woman called the dean, saying that two years before, while she was a student, Professor Philips sexually assaulted her on a couple of occasions. The dean had no choice but to summon the professor, and he told him that a full investigation would be carried out after which a decision would be taken regarding the promotion.
Visibly shaken and upset, Professor Philips said, "George, we have known each other for more than thirty years. Surely, you don't believe that vile cow who only wants to destroy my career."

The dean put his hand on his shoulder. "David, you're like a brother to me. I'd give my blood for you, but I have to follow the rules. Have a week or two of leave of absence until the storm passes and you'll see that everything will be OK."

David gave him a tired look--a look of a broken man. "I've been teaching for decades. I've more respect for me students than for my own children, and then I hear this accusation. You lose faith in humanity, George." His voice cracked. He heaved himself out of a chair and turned to the door as if in a daze.

"David, take it easy. We all know what kind of a man you are," said the dean, but the professor didn't hear him or couldn't hear him because his mind was somewhere else. He closed the door quietly and then shuffled down the long corridor with tears brimming in his eyes. The groups of laughing and chatting students who he passed by were stunned to silence. They gave each other questioning looks and shook their heads.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I'm wondering if "in question" can be used in my sentence. Have I made any mistakes? I am not sure if "you're like a brother to me" natural.

Professor Philips' promotion was in question after a woman called the dean, saying that two years before, while she was a student, Professor Philips sexually assaulted her on a couple of occasions. The dean had no choice but to summon the professor, and he told him that a full investigation would be carried out after which a decision would be taken regarding the promotion.
Visibly shaken and upset, Professor Philips said, "George, we have known each other for more than thirty years. Surely, you don't believe that vile cow who only wants to destroy my career."

The dean put his hand on his shoulder. "David, you're like a brother to me. I'd give my blood for you, but I have to follow the rules. Have a week or two of leave of absence until the storm passes and you'll see that everything will be OK."

David gave him a tired look--a look of a broken man. "I've been teaching for decades. I've more respect for me students than for my own children, and then I hear this accusation. You lose faith in humanity, George." His voice cracked. He heaved himself out of a chair and turned to the door as if in a daze.

"David, take it easy. We all know what kind of a man you are," said the dean, but the professor didn't hear him or couldn't hear him because his mind was somewhere else. He closed the door quietly and then shuffled down the long corridor with tears brimming in his eyes. The groups of laughing and chatting students who he passed by were stunned to silence. They gave each other questioning looks and shook their heads.
I've underlined where to make changes.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I believe the changes should be this.

1. I am not sure if "you're like a brother to me" is natural. .
2. had sexually assaulted her on a couple of occasions
3. put his hands on the professors shoulder
4. I'd give my life for you
5. Take a week or two off until the storm passes
6. I have more respect for my students than for my own children
7. He heaved himself out of the chair
8. The groups of laughing and chattering students who he passed by were stunned into silence.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
#3 still needs a fix.
I'm drinking a nice red wine and I can spot these mistakes. Are you drinking a better wine? If so, let me know which. :-D

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
teechar,

Enjoy your wine! You really deserve it, and not only wine but a bottle of champagne. I drank today a can of cheap German beer I bought at Lidl. It had just 2.8% alcohol and tasted almost like water.
I missed to add an apostrophe. It should be "on the professor's shoulder".

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
teechar,
Enjoy your wine! You really deserve it, and not only wine but a bottle of champagne. I drank today a can of cheap German beer I bought at Lidl. It had just 2.8% alcohol and tasted almost like water.
Thanks Bassim, but I'm not a huge fan of champagne or any kind of sparkling wine. Cheap German beer is not the worst thing in the world. Mind you, I've been fancying getting some flavoured vodka for the past couple of days. Maybe I'll get some tomorrow - either that or another kind of East European liqueur.
I missed to add an apostrophe. I should be "on the professor's shoulder".
Correct.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I hope you will one day travel to the Balkans, just to experience the atmosphere of that part of Europe. Plums grow everywhere there so people are making moonshine in every village. Serbia is famous for their slivovitz and the Serbs for their hospitality. But if you would find yourself in Croatia or Herzegovina, which is the south part of Bosnia, you could taste their red and white wines.
I hate to see how people drink here in Scandinavia, because they use alcohol almost as a drug. On the Balkans, people drink to have fun and to spend an evening discussing with each other.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I was in Romania before, but that was at the time of Ceaușescu. I wouldn't mind doing a tour of that part of Europe some day.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, Czech Republic and Poland are all in the EU now, so their economy is growing rapidly, especially Poland, Hungary and Czech Republic. One day they will become level with Germany, France or Italy.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It seems that nobody has answered your question. "You're like a brother to me" is perfectly good and natural English.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I believe the changes should be these/as follows.[STRIKE]this.[/STRIKE]

1. I am not sure if "you're like a brother to me" is natural.
2. had sexually assaulted her on a couple of occasions

4. I'd give my life for you
5. Take a week or two off until the storm passes
6. I have more respect for my students than for my own children
7. He heaved himself out of the chair
8. The groups of laughing and chattering students who he passed by were stunned into silence.
Correct. And "you're like a brother to me" is good and natural.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't say passed by. Just passed. Or passed in the hallway.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
There's nothing wrong with "passed by", though.

Status
Not open for further replies.