Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I can't understand where 'indeed' is supposed to be placed in a sentence. In the examples on the online dictionaries I have consulted, it was placed in various positions. Does its position make any difference? For instance, if I want to add it to the sentences below to emphasize that they are true statements, where should I place it?

He was frightened.

There is a hut in the woods.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
* He was * frightened *.
* There is * a hut in the woods *.
It can go in any of the positions indicated above. Some of these placements are more commonly used than others.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There's always a difference between any two forms.

X He was X' frightened.
X There is X' a hut in the woods.

The parts I've bolded are the parts I think you want to emphasise, in which case you can place indeed in either of the positions marked by X. To help you discriminate the difference in effect between X and X', think about where you'd naturally place the sentence stress:

Indeed he was frightened.
He was indeed frightened.

You might now think about how these two forms may fit into slightly different contexts.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't understand where 'indeed' is supposed to be placed in a sentence.

NOT A TEACHER

I am also confused about the placement of that adverb.

Maybe some native speakers simply place it where it gives a pleasant rhythm to the sentence. Indeed, that's what many probably do.

When you get some extra time, you might check out this online source (if, indeed, you have not already done so): Your Dictionary The best 466 "indeed" sentences.

And remember: originally the word was two words, "in" + "deed." That is to say, "in fact."

Jemima23

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Not a teacher.

"There are three main ways we can use indeed in a sentence in English.

The first reason is to emphasise the word ‘very‘ with an adjective or an adverb.
The second way we can use ‘indeed‘ is after the verb ‘to be‘ or an auxiliary verb for confirmation or agreement.
In the final example we are using ‘indeed’ to support something you have just said."

https://www.yourenglishweb.com/how-to-use-indeed-in-a-sentence/

Status
Not open for further replies.