Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
What is the difference between indefinite pronouns and quantity pronouns? "Many" is both Indefinite pronoun as well as quantity pronouns.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is the difference between indefinite pronouns and quantity pronouns? "Many" is both AN Indefinite pronoun as well as A quantity pronoun.
I want to know the answer to that one too. 😊

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
What is the difference between indefinite pronouns and quantity pronouns? "Many" is both Indefinite pronoun as well as quantity pronouns.
The simple answer to your question is that "many" is not a pronoun but a degree determinative. This is the case whether it is functioning independently, as in Ed made a few mistakes, but I made many, or dependently, as in I made many mistakes.

Like most determinatives, "many" expresses quantification.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, I have certainly made many mistakes.

The grammar term "determinative" is a new one for me. I guess I've been using determinatives without having a name for them. 🤔

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Well, I have certainly made many mistakes.

The grammar term "determinative" is a new one for me. I guess I've been using determinatives without having a name for them. 🤔

It's been quite some time since the term 'determinative' found its way into Standard English grammar. Note that 'determinative' is the word class (POS) and 'determiner' is the corresponding function (though some older grammars used those terms the other way round).

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We stopped calling words like "many" pronouns some time ago.
Is that the royal 'we'? Many (!) dictionaries label 'many' a pronoun in such sentences as 'Many of my friends are grammarians'.

There is little agreement among grammarians on the labels used for word classes/parts of speech. This is something I think we need to accept.

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Many (!) dictionaries label 'many' a pronoun in such sentences as 'Many of my friends are grammarians'.

Yes, that's true. But dictionaries are fine for meanings, not for grammar. For example, they cannot handle the word class/function distinction, and they are not exactly greased lightning when it comes to adopting changes and additions. For example, expect dictionaries to extend the word class 'determiner' to the independent use of words like "many" in… oh, about fifty years or so.

Incidentally, for the uninitiated, the reason that independent "many" is best classed as a determinative (as opposed to a pronoun) is because it functions as a fused determiner-head. Thus, in a partitive construction like the one in your example, "many" combines (or fuses) the determiner and head, and is followed by the partitive complement "of my friends". We understand it to mean "many friends from the set of my friends".

There is little agreement among grammarians on the labels used for word classes/parts of speech. This is something I think we need to accept.

I wouldn't go that far. The POS of a very small number of words may be in dispute, but in general there is agreement. Logic and evidence usually prevail, as it does with "many" (see above).

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's been quite some time since the term 'determinative' found its way into Standard English grammar. Note that 'determinative' is the word class (POS) and 'determiner' is the corresponding function (though some older grammars used those terms the other way round).
Is that a subtle way of saying I'm ignorant? Because if it is then that applies to most native speakers of English. I would bet $100 that If you asked 100 random people that none of them would know what a "determinative" is.

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Is that a subtle way of saying I'm ignorant? Because if it is then that applies to most native speakers of English. I would bet $100 that If you asked 100 random people that none of them would know what a "determinative" is.
Anyone who takes a serious interest in grammar, particularly modern grammar, should be well aware of the terminology. Any decent grammar book will provide the relevant information.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
expect dictionaries to extend the word class 'determiner' to the independent use of words like "many" in… oh, about fifty years or so.
You're probably right - unless fashions in terminology change, as they so often do.
Incidentally, for the uninitiated
... which probably includes 99% of those native speakers of English who haven't studied linguistics at university level.

We understand it to mean "many friends from the set of my friends".
There' the royal 'we' again. It doesn't include me.
Anyone who takes a serious interest in grammar, particularly modern grammar, should be well aware of the terminology.
I agree. However, most of the members of this forum are more interested in how to communicate effectively in English than on the finer points of English grammar as discussed by academics.
Any decent grammar book will provide the relevant information.
Most of the grammar books used by our members will not.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Anyone who takes a serious interest in grammar, particularly modern grammar, should be well aware of the terminology. Any decent grammar book will provide the relevant information.
That's like saying that anybody who takes a serious interest in chess should be a grandmaster.
🫤

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
That's like saying that anybody who takes a serious interest in chess should be a grandmaster.
🫤
That's a ridiculous thing to say.

Knowing word classes (POS) and their functions is a fundamental part of understanding English grammar. If your knowledge of descriptive English grammar doesn't extend to that level, then perhaps you should stay way from it, or at least try to grasp it.

Posting negative answers about your personal knowledge is unhelpful and off-topic.

Your profile says that you are "interested in language", So show an interest!

Last edited:

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
You're probably right - unless fashions in terminology change, as they so often do.

It's not about 'fashions', but about research, syntactic evidence and corpus work. As it happens, terminology hasn't changed much in the last twenty years or so.
... which probably includes 99% of those native speakers of English who haven't studied linguistics at university level.

They can learn can't they? The OP seems to have a keen interest in grammar (as do quite a few of the other questioners) hence their perfectly reasonable question.
There' the royal 'we' again. It doesn't include me.

Well, perhaps you need to study modern descriptive English grammar.
I agree. However, most of the members of this forum are more interested in how to communicate effectively in English than on the finer points of English grammar as discussed by academics.

Perhaps, but you seem to have lost sight of the fact that the OP asked specifically about a point of grammar, to which they were entitled to an answer. My answer addressed their question.
Most of the grammar books used by our members will not.

It's not up to you to second-guess what books members may or may not have.

If you're not interested in, or knowledgeable about, descriptive English grammar, then I suggest you stay away from such questions. Posting negative comments is helpful to no one.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can we please calm it down here? Responses are becoming less friendly than they should be. In the 13 years I've been on this site, one thing has been a constant - native speakers who are very knowledgeable about grammar don't always agree on terminology.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
This topic is becoming like Frankenstein's monster: it just won't die. I wish I could drive through its heart.🤣

Last edited: