English Teacher
Native Language
Afrikaans
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
South Korea
Good day teachers

Could I ask for help explaining or identifying a clear reason why the following two indirect questions are slightly different in forming. I ask because I have a few low level ESL students who I'd like to give every chance without confusing them.

Example 1
Direct: What is the capital of Peru?

Indirect: Could you tell me what the capital of Peru is?

RULE: In indirect questions with is/are, the verb (is) comes after the subject (the capital of Peru).
ref:https://www.espressoenglish.net/direct-and-indirect-questions-in-english/

Example 2
Direct: What language is spoken in the Netherlands?
Indirect: Could you tell me what language is spoken in the Netherlands?

RULE: ?

Let's break it down:

Opening phrase:"Could you tell me"
Subject: what language
Verb: is spoken
( ? ):
in the Netherlands.

"..in the netherlands" = object of the sentence, therefore the structure doesn't change like Example 1?

This is one of a few blind spots in my grammar knowledge, but hope
someone could spare a few minutes explaining, please.
TIA

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
[1] Could you tell me what the capital of Peru is?
[2] Could you tell me what language is spoken in the Netherlands?

There’s no change in the basic rule that (normally) there is no subject-auxiliary inversion in subordinate interrogatives.

In [1] the interrogative phrase "what" is fronted, but it is not the subject. The subject is "the capital of Peru" and “what” is predicative complement of "be" (i.e. "is"). Note that you can also have "Could you tell me what is the capital of Peru?"

In [2] again the interrogative phrase "what language" is fronted but this time it is the subject. "Spoken in the Netherlands" is a clause functioning as complement of "be" (i.e. "is"). The preposition phrase "in the Netherlands" is not an object but an optional locative adjunct in clause structure.

Note that the underlined elements are subordinate interrogative clauses (embedded questions) functioning as complement of "tell". The meanings are:

"Could you tell me the answer to the question 'What is the capital of Peru?'"
"Could you tell me the answer to the question 'What language is spoken in the Netherlands?'"

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
How low are they exactly? If they're below an intermediate level, I'd suggest leaving this well alone. Teach them something more useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.