Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
When you serve, you have to hit the birdie across the net and land it inside the kitty corner rectangle, or it's out and you'll lose one point.

Yesterday before I played badminton with a Mormon missionary, I tried to explain the rules to her in the above. Is it correct or idiomatic? If not, how should I say it right? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
As long as your opponent (whose religion and occupation are irrelevant) knows that by 'birdie' you mean 'shuttlecock', and that 'kitty (or catty) corner' means 'diagonally opposite' in American English, it's fine.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You must serve diagonally. The side/back tramlines are out when serving.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When you serve, you have to hit the birdie across the net and land it inside the kitty corner rectangle, or it's out and you'll lose one point.
The idea isn't really for the shuttlecock to land in that rectangle. That only happens if your opponent misses it. You need to make sure that the trajectory of the shuttlecock would make it land in that rectangle if it were to land.
Yesterday, before I played badminton with a Mormon missionary with someone new to the sport, I tried to explain the rules to her in the as [shown] above. Is it correct or and idiomatic? If not, how should I say it? right?

Thanks. Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any response you find useful.