Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I thought I'd share this for anyone interested in regional accents.

Check out the IDEA (International Dialects of English Archive) page. It has samples of accented English from all over the world. It includes both native speakers with their various regional accents, as well as second language speakers.

It includes a wide variety of ages and educational levels, as well as varying levels of English proficiency for the non-native speakers. There's also some biographical data about the speaker, including other language influences, places they've lived, ages they learned English, etc.

Most audio clips take a format of reading a standardized passage, followed by unscripted speech (usually talking about themselves). Sometimes you can really hear a shift in accent between the standard passage and the unscripted speech, especially with native speakers when they start reminiscing.

If you're interested in contributing, online submissions are ongoing. You can check out the global map for a quick overview to see how well your location is or isn't represented. You can click on the dots to listen to the sample, but there's also an geographical (then alphabetical) list from the main home page as well.

If you're interested in contributing further, you can become a volunteer associate editor, and help with some of the sample selections and transcriptions (both regular text and IPA).

Pretty interesting stuff. I plan on submitting a sample, simply because there is only one sample within a 200 mile radius of my location. Not sure if they'll post my sample or not, but I feel like my odds are good simply for the lack of any other candidates. :lol:

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you very much for the link.
It's very interesting indeed.