Is "could" more sure than "may" or "might"?

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The keys may/might/could be in one of those drawers.
According to A Basic English Grammar by John Eastwood and Ronald Mackin, could is rather less sure than may or might. There is little difference between may and might, but a speaker who uses might is a little less sure.
According to A New English Grammar by Zhang Zhenbang, could is more sure than may or might.

Which book is correct?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Which book does that come from?
Which book is correct?
There is no 'correct' answer as such. People have different feelings about such modals. My own feelings are closer to those of Eastwood and Mackin than those of Zhang Zhenbang.

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
According to A Basic English Grammar by John Eastwood and Ronald Mackin, could is rather less sure than may or might.

I think that's wrong. I mean, I understand what they're saying and why, but I don't think it's a good explanation.

There is little difference between may and might, but a speaker who uses might is a little less sure.

I think that's just plain wrong.

According to A New English Grammar by Zhang Zhenbang, could is more sure than may or might.

That's a novel idea! I've never heard of anyone who thinks that, and I don't know why anyone would.

The difference in modality between these words is not best explained with a spectrum of certainty, in my opinion. I prefer to explain this difference as qualitative—about different kinds of possibility—rather than as quantitative by degree. In some sense, the kind of possibility we get from could is more 'remote' from might, but not really less 'sure'.

Last edited:

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Which book does that come from?
The above sentence comes from A Basic English Grammar by John Eastwood and Ronald Mackin.

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
It might be George.
It may be George.
It could be George.
? It can be George.
It should be George.
It ought to be George.
It would be George.
It will be George.
It must be George.
The above spectrum of certainty (from the least certain to the most certain) is quoted from A New English Grammar by Zhang Zhenbang, page 640.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
A random selection would have been as good.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In that list, only "will" and "must" have any degree of certainty (100%). All the others are simply not 100% certain.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It might be George.
It may be George.
It could be George.
? It can be George.
It should be George.
It ought to be George.
It would be George.
It will be George.
It must be George.
The above spectrum of certainty (from the least certain to the most certain) is quoted from A New English Grammar by Zhang Zhenbang, page 640.

This is either a shocking misunderstanding or a hopelessly optimistic simplification. I can't tell which one it is.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is either a shocking misunderstanding or a hopelessly optimistic simplification. I can't tell which one it is.
Given the rest of the content we've seen from that "teacher", I'll go for both.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The difference in modality between these words is not best explained with a spectrum of certainty, in my opinion. I prefer to explain this difference as qualitative—about different kinds of possibility—rather than as quantitative by degree. In some sense, the kind of possibility we get from could is more 'remote' from might, but not really less 'sure'.
Could you please explain that a little bit more? I mean, like, what the kind of possibility do we get from could? And what kind from might?

dunchee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
Could you please explain that a little bit more? I mean, like, what the kind of possibility do we get from could? And what kind from might?
- could B1 ...
- might A2 ...

and
- Compare ...

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think these words in the second link sum it up: We use could, may and might to express degrees of possibility. Many native speakers disagree on which one expresses more or less certainty.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

In my terms, I say that 'might' commonly expresses real possibility whereas 'could' expresses theoretical possibility.

Here's a simple example to begin to show what I mean:

a) I might go out tonight.
b) I could go out tonight.

Utterance a) would be used only if I were seriously thinking about the option of going out. It's real in the sense that it has some bearing on the real world.
Utterance b) says only that there is nothing stopping me from going out. I might say this even if I had no intention of going out whatsoever. It's purely theoretical.

This difference has nothing to do with certainty, in my opinion.