Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was reading some information about the IELTS test in a chat group. A, who took the test a few times said that she was lucky because in the listening section, the blank-filling parts only required one word as the answer. Then B argued and said that when he took the test, he would need to write three words for that blank-filling question. Here’s a picture of it:

IMG_8883.jpeg
Even for questions like this one. The chances to use three words in each blank is little. Let’s say there are ten blanks need to be filled and perhaps only two of them requires the students to write three words.

I then replied to B and said:

No more than three words doesn’t amount to writing three words in every blank.

Is this italic sentence okay?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was reading some information about the IELTS test in a chat group. A, who took has taken the test a few times said that she was lucky because, in the listening section, the blank-filling parts "fill in the blanks" exercise only required only one word as the answer. Then B argued and said that when he took the test, he would need had to write three words for that blank-filling question in each blank. Here’s a picture of it:

View attachment 5908
Even for in/with questions like this one, the chances there are few opportunities to use three words in each a blank. is little. Let’s say There are might be ten blanks need to be filled and perhaps only two of them requires require the students to write three words.

I then replied to B and said with:
No more than three words doesn’t amount to writing three words in every blank.

Is this the italic sentence okay?
Note my corrections above.
It's understandable but it's not how I'd say it. I'd say "You don't have to write three words in each blank. That's just the maximum!" In speech, I'd stress the word "have".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Silver, once again emsr2d2 has had to delete ’then’ twice from your post. Your text reads perfectly well without it.

Please try to avoid using this word in future posts, but don’t think you have to find another word to replace it. Just try leaving it out.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm sorry. I'm always trying to write my stories in a chronological order. I'll listen to you and emsr2d2's suggestion and try to avoid it. It's not a good habit though.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can write a story in chronological order without using "then".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Also, bear in mind that unless you expressly say otherwise (or use the past perfect), we'll assume a story is being told in chronological order.