[General] Please spare me two or three more weeks....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A month ago, I told Gary I would go to his English club to give a talk about how to learn English. Today he asked me if I could do it next week and I said no because I am still preparing for that. I might do it next month. After telling him the reason, I added:

Please spare me two or three more weeks for I want to present the best to my audience.

Is my sentence natural?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A month ago, I told Gary I would go to his English club to give a talk about how to learn English. Today, he asked me if I could do it next week and I said no because I am still preparing [STRIKE]for that[/STRIKE] it. I might do it next month. After telling him the reason, I added:

Please [STRIKE]spare[/STRIKE] give me two or three more weeks [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] because I want to present the best talk I can. [STRIKE]to my audience.[/STRIKE]

Is my sentence natural?

See above. Don't use "spare me + time" in this context. We ask other people to "spare me five minutes" or similar when we want them to help us with something for five minutes (it usually turns out to be an hour!)

Last edited:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could say "Please give me two or three more weeks to finish preparing" or "Please give me two or three more weeks to perfect my presentation."

Status
Not open for further replies.