Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Teacher, I would like to know what is the appropriate way to say these sentences.

''without even trying'' and ''without first being understood'' X ''without even try'' and ''without first be understood''

I know that we have to use the verb with ING form after a preposition, but ''even'' and ''first'' are not a preposition, so why we have to use ''trying'' and ''being'' instead of using ''even try'' or ''first be understood''.
The full sentence is:
1º '' Be with someone who makes you smile without even trying''
2° ''Nothing can be enjoyed or hated without first being understood''

Thank you so much!!

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Be with someone who makes you smile without even trying.
2. Nothing can be enjoyed or hated without first being understood.

Without is to be followed by an noun, not a verb (without doing something, not without do something). The noun is a gerund in the above sentences.

The inclusion of the word even between the preposition and the -ing makes no difference to the rule, venilson.

Teacher, I would like to know the appropriate way to say these sentences is.

''Without even trying'' and ''without first being understood'' X ''without even try'' and ''without first be understood''

Those are not sentences.

I know that we have to use the verb with ING form after a preposition, but ''even'' and ''first'' are not prepositions, so why do we have to use ''trying'' and ''being'' instead of using ''even try'' or ''first be understood"?

The full sentence is:

1º ''[no space]Be with someone who makes you smile without even trying.'' To make that a sentence, use a period.

2° ''Nothing can be enjoyed or hated without first being understood.'' Ditto.

Thank you so much! Use just one exclamation point.
You're welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back