Other
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Example : much-awaited announcement
Here i could not find -much-awaited- in any online dictionaries. Is it adjective? What about the word awaited in the above phrase?is it adj why and when it should be hyphenated.

Here i could not find -much-awaited- in any online dictionaries. Is it adjective? What about the word awaited in the above phrase?is it adj why and when it should be hyphenated.

It's being used as a compound adjective but I don't find it very natural.

Here it is in Macmillan.

I agree with bhai that it isn't natural. 'Long-awaited' is more usually heard.

A better title would have been Much-awaited announcement.

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

[STRIKE]Here[/STRIKE] I could not find "much-awaited" in any online dictionaries. Is it an adjective? What about the word "awaited" in the above phrase? Is it an adjective? Why and when it should be hyphenated?

Please note my amendments to your post. You have made over 130 posts in this forum. I'm sure that by now you have noticed that there are rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".

Please note my amendments to your post. You have made over 130 posts in this forum. I'm sure that by now you have noticed that there are rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".

Even more so if the OP really is an Academic, as their profile shows.

I have no trouble with "much-awaited". It sounds normal.

Even more so if the OP really is an Academic, as their profile shows.
Dear members I am not good in typing that too using smart phone. Extremely sorry. Sorry for the question or typing which caused doubt for my friend here. I am a non-native speaker with a different academic background. The term was lifted from a leading newspaper article. Oxford dictionary mentions awaited as adjective with submodifier. Can you elucidate further? Is "duty-alloted days" correct?

What do you mean by "a different academic background"?

I mean I am an academician where English is not of much important. Any how please enlighten me with the questions i have asked to the senior members here. Thank you

I mean I am an academician where English is not of much important. Any how please enlighten me with the questions i have asked to the senior members here. Thank you
Yes, both 'awaited' and 'much-awaited' are adjectives. Adjectives (and other words) can sometimes be hyphenated when appropriate. 'Much' is actually an adverb modifying 'awaited', but together they are a compound adjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back