Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Someone claims that my English writing is completely Chinglish. Actually I am just a lover of English, and English is not my native tongue, so I don't know whether my English is real English. The blamed piece of my writing is as follows. Can any native speakers please help me to find out my Chinglish expressions? Thank you!

Due to the nature of my work and my preference for languages, I’ve had the privilege of making the acquaintances of some esteemed linguistic academics, including senior translators like Cai Lijian, Ye Zinan, and Luo Xuanmin. These accomplished professionals are not only approachable but also remarkably humble. If they come across an expression they are unfamiliar with, they openly acknowledge their ignorance instead of pretending to have all the answers. It is this particular quality that has earned my deep admiration for them. Despite being highly respected, they never dismiss my inquiries about translation-related questions just because I am a nobody. Needless to say, they are also very confident. Confidence is a positive attribute, whereas arrogance is a malady. Today, we will delve into a psychological condition known as the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things. One, I think "although would work better than "and" in the second sentence. Two, what's a blamed piece of writing?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't use "preference" there. Perhaps you mean "my love of language" or "my fondness for language".

I think you are saying they admit it when they don't know something. (Always a good idea.)

That's all I have time for it right now.

River Itchen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Two things. One, I think "although would work better than "and" in the second sentence. Two, what's a blamed piece of writing?
Thank your for your suggestion. I used the expression "blamed piece" to mean the article criticized by the person who said my text was completely Chinglish.

River Itchen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I wouldn't use "preference" there. Perhaps you mean "my love of language" or "my fondness for language".

I think you are saying they admit it when they don't know something. (Always a good idea.)

That's all I have time for it right now.
Thank your for your corrections! Yep, I wanna use the word "preference" to express my special love of languages.

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
Someone claims that my English writing is completely Chinglish.
That 'someone' is completely wrong.

The register is rather formal, and there are a couple of example is your using the wrong word, but the overall use of language is very competent

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank your for your suggestion. I used the expression "blamed piece" to mean the article criticized by the person who said my text was completely Chinglish.
OK. So it's your invention.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank your for your corrections! Yep, I wanna use the word "preference" to express my special love of languages.
I would take "preference" to mean something you like better than other things. (I guess I didn't make that clear.)

As Piscean noted, that piece has a highly formal register, and there is no hint of Chinglish.

River Itchen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
That 'someone' is completely wrong.

The register is rather formal, and there are a couple of example is your using the wrong word, but the overall use of language is very competent
Thank you so much pointing out my mistakes. Could you please tell me the wrong words?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you so much pointing out my mistakes. Could you please tell me the wrong words?
Well, I wouldn't say arrogance is a malady. Instead, you might say it's a negative attribute, which contrasts nicely with what you said about confidence.

Last edited:

River Itchen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Well, I wouldn't say arrogance is a malady. Instead, you might say it's a negative attribute, which contrasts nicely with what said about confidence.
Thank you so much. Actually, at the beginning I used the expression "negative trait". Later I thought the word "malady" was better because it means a disease, so I substitute "malady" for "negative trait". I did not know that "negative attribute" was indeed a better choice than "malady".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you so much pointing out my mistakes. Could you please tell me the which words are wrong? words?

That might be a result of my Chinese thinking.
There's no such thing as "Chinese thinking". I think you mean that you thought it in Chinese, then did a verbatim translation to English. That's a common mistake when talking/writing in a second language.

River Itchen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There's no such thing as "Chinese thinking". I think you mean that you thought it in Chinese, then did a verbatim translation to English. That's a common mistake when talking/writing in a second language.
Thank you so much for your correction. I did mean what you said. I used this expression because I borrowed it from a sentence used by BBC - ”The historical confrontations of the 19th and 20th centuries still deeply shape Chinese thinking about the world“.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"Chinese/Asian thinking" is acceptable to me. The way people think is largely influenced by their culture and upbringing, which are distinctly different between the west and the east.

How about "shortcoming" in place of "malady", which is associated with illness?

I don't find the writing "Chinglish" at all. Like Piscean said, it's rather formal.

Last edited:

River Itchen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"Chinese/Asian thinking" is acceptable to me. The way people think is largely influenced by their culture and upbringing, which are distinctly different between the west and the east.

How about "shortcoming" in place of "malady", which is associated with illness?

I don't find the writing "Chinglish" at all. Like Piscean said, it's rather formal.
Thank you for your suggestion.