Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

"What is your favourite clothes?"
To answer this question, if my answer is a green shirt. What should I say? My favourite clothes is or are a green shirt?
Thank you a lot.

The main problem with the whole thing is that the question is ungrammatical. You need to use one of these:

What are your favourite clothes/items of clothing?
What is your favourite item of clothing?

The answer to the first would need to list more than one thing. The answer to the second could be "My favourite item of clothing is my green shirt".

There is no singular form of "clothes".

I think favourite clothes and favourite colours for clothes are two different things. The former is to do with design, comfort, etc., while that latter is an inherent personal preference.

So I think the OP's answer to the question is weird. "A greed shirt" is any green shirt.

Last edited:
emsr2d2 said 'my green shirt'.

There is no singular form of "clothes".
One little girl has coined one (remember that in a rapid speech, clothes sounds like close. I've told the following true story a number of times—skip it if you've read it before).

My newspaper runs a daily feature of humorous things children say. A mother once wrote in to say that one morning she shouted upstairs to her two young daughters 'Put your clothes on and come down for your breakfast'.

A few minutes later, the elder child came down, saying 'I've put all my clothes on, Mummy, but Debbie's only put one clo on'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back