Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Hi,

Can pls advise if both of below sentences are correct.

1. With more stringent measures, the risk of infection is reduced significantly
2. With more stringent measures, the risk of infection has reduced significantly

I know the the second sentence sounds more correct but can I also use the first sentence ?
Also, is there certain rule to help me know when to use "is" vs "has" like this case.

The first sentence uses the present simple tense and the second sentence uses the present perfect tense, which means they have different meanings.

Did you make up both of these sentences yourself?

Hi.

Can you [STRIKE]pls[/STRIKE] please [STRIKE]advise[/STRIKE] tell me if both of [STRIKE]below[/STRIKE] the sentences below are correct.

1. With more stringent measures, the risk of infection is reduced significantly.
2. With more stringent measures, the risk of infection has reduced significantly.

I know the the second sentence sounds [STRIKE]more correct[/STRIKE] better but can I also use the first sentence?
Also, is there a certain rule to help me know when to use "is" vs "has", like in this case.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my corrections above, particularly to your punctuation.

They're both grammatically correct but in #1, I would say "is significantly reduced".

The first sentence uses the present simple tense and the second sentence uses the present perfect tense, which means they have different meanings.

Did you make up both of these sentences yourself?

Yes I formed these sentences myself. I was replying a whatsapp message and i was using
”is reduced” then later I felt it should be “has reduced “

My understanding is present simple tense will be
”reduces “ instead of “reduced “. Appreciate you can explain further.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my corrections above, particularly to your punctuation.

They're both grammatically correct but in #1, I would say "is significantly reduced".

Wow, I didn’t know my sentence has so many mistakes. Thank you for your correction.

Also noted on your point “ is significantly reduced “. I learnt this 2 days ago. :-D It is about splitting of infinitive. Strunk and White advised not to split unless there is a need to place strong emphasis on the verb, which seems to be exactly the case here. Now it becomes clearer to me the point.

Last edited:
"is reduced" is a passive structure.

Ok, I googled and found this " When the active verb is in the simple present tense, we make passive verb forms with is/am/are + past participle form of the verb "

It is clear now.

1 is a statement of fact.
2 describes something that has just occurred.

1 is a statement of fact.
2 describes something that has just occurred.

Thanks for further insight. So can I say the two sentences below are both correct but the first is to state a fact.

1. The project is completed
2. Th project has completed

1. The air quality in the room is improved
2. The air quality in the room has improved

Wow, I didn’t know my sentence [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] had so many mistakes. Thank you for your corrections.

Also noted [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] in/from your point is "is significantly reduced". I learnt this 2 days ago. :-D It is about the splitting of infinitives. Strunk and White advised not to split unless there is a need to place strong emphasis on the verb, which seems to be exactly the case here. Now [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] the point [STRIKE]becomes[/STRIKE] has become clearer to me. [STRIKE]the point.[/STRIKE]

OK (or "Okay"), I googled and found this: "When the active verb is in the simple present tense, we make passive verb forms with is/am/are + past participle form of the verb."

It is clear now.

Thanks for further insight. So can I say the two sentences below are both correct but the first is to state a fact?

1. The project is completed.
2. The project has completed.

3. The air quality in the room is improved.
4. The air quality in the room has improved.

Note my corrections to your last three posts above.

As far as your four new sentences are concerned:
1. The project is completed. Grammatically correct but suggests either a habitual action or the effect part of a longer "cause and effect" statement.
2. The project has completed. :cross: This doesn't work. It suggests that the project completed something else. It didn't and it can't (a project can't complete anything).
3. The air quality in the room is improved. Same comment as sentence #1.
4. The air quality in the room has improved. :tick:

The "rule" about splitting infinitives isn't wrong but the outdated belief that you must never split an infinitive is nonsense.

Note my corrections to your last three posts above.

The "rule" about splitting infinitives isn't wrong but the outdated belief that you must never split an infinitive is nonsense.

Thank you, [STRIKE]Ms Queen's English[/STRIKE] ems, for painstakingly correcting my punctuation and mistakes in my sentences, and also for answering my question. I truly appreciate your kindness.

Last edited by a moderator:
(DANAU, ems is no royalist and will not thank you for your new name for her.)

Last edited:
DANAU, ems is no royalist and will not love your references to our monarch.

Dear Rover, Ems

I am sorry. It is my expressing of respect for English language purists. I will be careful not to make such remark in future. Thank you for your understanding.

Both of the following are present simple:

reduces
is reduced

The first one is active and the second one is passive.

Also noted on your point “ is significantly reduced “. I learnt this 2 days ago. :-D It is about splitting of infinitive. Strunk and White advised not to split unless there is a need to place strong emphasis on the verb, which seems to be exactly the case here. Now it becomes clearer to me the point.

No, this is not a split infinitive. An infinitive is a verb in its base form, like to reduce. Splitting is when you put an adverb between the to part and the main part, like this:

to significantly reduce

Both of the following are present simple:

reduces
is reduced

The first one is active and the second one is passive.

No, this is not a split infinitive. An infinitive is a verb in its base form, like to reduce. Splitting is when you put an adverb between the to part and the main part, like this:

to significantly reduce

I finally understand now (or I have finally understood) that the "ed" when used in passive voice is simple present tense.

I have confused the split infinitive with the bare infinitive. Yes, split infinitive is the splitting of "to" and the verb.

Your explanation has clarified some of the doubts that I had over past few days. I am happy.

I finally understand now (or I have finally understood) that the "ed" when used in passive voice is simple present tense.

No, that's not right. It's the auxiliary verb is that marks the present tense. The -ed suffix of the following main verb is a past participle form.

I have confused the split infinitive with the bare infinitive.

No, you didn't. You noticed that the adverb significantly appeared between the auxiliary verb and the main verb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back