Is the long u sound pronounced as [iu:] rather than as [yu:] ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaiwanPofLee

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
It is generally said that a diphthong refers to two adjacent vowel sounds occurring within the same syllable. So, is the long u sound pronounced as [iu:](starting with a vowel sound) rather than as [yu:] (starting with a consonant sound)?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In a word like "usually" the first sound is a "y."

TaiwanPofLee

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In a word like "usually" the first sound is a "y."

Thank you for your reply, SoothingDave.

My question arose from the following information:

"Falling (or descending) diphthongs start with a vowel quality of higher prominence (higher pitch or volume) and end in a semivowel with less prominence, like [aɪ̯] in eye, while rising (or ascending) diphthongs begin with a less prominent semivowel and end with a more prominent full vowel, similar to the [ja] in yard. (Note that "falling" and "rising" in this context do not refer to vowel height; the terms "opening" and "closing" are used instead. See below.) The less prominent component in the diphthong may also be transcribed as an approximant, thus [aj] in eye and [ja] in yard. However, when the diphthong is analysed as a single phoneme, both elements are often transcribed with vowel letters (/aɪ̯/, /ɪ̯a/)." Diphthong, Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diphthong

"All English diphthongs are falling, apart from /juː/, which can be analyzed as [i̯uː]." Id.

N Senbei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello TaiwanPofLee,

I think you misread the Wikipedia article. Put simply, [juː] and [i̯uː] are exactly the same sound.
The articulation of [j] is phonetically almost the same as that of a close front unrounded vowel , except that [j] does not occupy the nucleus (the most prominent component) position in a syllable. In other words, unlike , [j] is not “syllabic.” And the diacritic [ ̯ ] under in [i̯uː] means that the sound is “non-syllabic.” So, [juː] equals [i̯uː].

TaiwanPofLee

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thank you for your reply, N Senbei.

I am preoccupied with the idea that /i/ (as i in hit) and /y/ or /j/ (as y in yet) are two distinct sounds, the former being a vowel sound and the latter a consonant sound, and, the alphabetical letter 'u', like 'a', 'i' and 'o', is a diphthong, which consists of two vowel sounds. Therefore, I think the pronunciation of the word 'you', which starts with a consonant letter 'y', is different from that of the alphabetical letter 'u'.

N Senbei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
The following is quoted from “The sounds of language: An introduction to phonetics” by Henry Rogers.

In principle, any vowel position can be used for a glide. A subscript cap [ ̯ ] is used to show lack of syllabicity, that is, to change a vowel symbol to that of a glide, as in [ ə̯ ɛ̯ ʌ̯ ]. Four glides [ i̯ u̯ y̯ ɯ̯ ] are so common that they have their own symbols: [ j w ɥ ɰ ].

As you can see, with a diacritic [ ̯ ], [ i̯ ] is no longer a pure vowel but a glide, and it represents the same sound as a glide [ j ]. So, obviously there is no difference between the pronunciation of "You" and "U."

TaiwanPofLee

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The following is quoted from “The sounds of language: An introduction to phonetics” by Henry Rogers.

In principle, any vowel position can be used for a glide. A subscript cap [ ̯ ] is used to show lack of syllabicity, that is, to change a vowel symbol to that of a glide, as in [ ə̯ ɛ̯ ʌ̯ ]. Four glides [ i̯ u̯ y̯ ɯ̯ ] are so common that they have their own symbols: [ j w ɥ ɰ ].

As you can see, with a diacritic [ ̯ ], [ i̯ ] is no longer a pure vowel but a glide, and it represents the same sound as a glide [ j ]. So, obviously there is no difference between the pronunciation of "You" and "U."

Thank you for your reply, N Senbei.

Your answer is really convincing.

Is there a different opinion from Henry Rogers's?

Status
Not open for further replies.