Is the sentence right too? Thank you for helping me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hemingway's wives_____Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhom, and Mary Welsh_____were all strong and interesting women.
(a sentence in GMAT, a right sentence)

Now, I want know the below sentence is right or not!
Hemingway's wives_____Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhom, and Mary Welsh_____all were strong and interesting women.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hemingway's wives_____Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhom, and Mary Welsh_____were all strong and interesting women.
(a sentence in GMAT, a right sentence)

Now, I want know the below sentence is right or not!
Hemingway's wives_____Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhom, and Mary Welsh_____all were strong and interesting women.

The second would be OK with a comma after "Welsh".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The second would be OK with a comma after "Welsh".

Bhai's resulting sentence would be "Hemingway's wives Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhom, and Mary Welsh, all were strong women." I'm sorry to say that I don't like it much.

I agree with Bhai that the original could be made correct but, in my opinion, only if "were" were inserted between "wives" and "Hadley" and a dash used after "Welsh".

Hemingway's wives were Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhom (no comma here) and Mary Welsh - all were strong and interesting women.

I'll be interested to hear what others think.

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
bhaisahab:
Thanks a lot!
In my opinion, in the second, if "all" means "Hemingway's wives" or "Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhom, and Mary Welsh" as an appositive of "Hemingway's wives", thus it seems inappropriate and redundant.
So, "all" means "totally" as an adverb.
These are my opinion, but I am not sure my opinion is right.
Do think my opinion is right?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In my opinion, these are possible:

Hemingway's wives, Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhom no comma and Mary Welsh, were all strong and interesting women.

Hemingway's wives, Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhom no comma and Mary Welsh, all were strong and interesting women.

Hemingway's wives were Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhom no comma and Mary Welsh; all were strong and interesting women.

I don't much like the second, but I think it's acceptable.

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hemingway's wives were Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhom (no comma here) and Mary Welsh - all were strong and interesting women.
emsr2d2:
Thank you for helping me!
I think the sentence is good and right, but I still wanna say I (as a non-native speaker) like the below sentence:
Hemingway's wives were Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhom (no comma here) and Mary Welsh , and they were all strong and interesting women.

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In my opinion, these are possible:

Hemingway's wives, Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhom no comma and Mary Welsh, were all strong and interesting women.

Hemingway's wives, Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhom no commaand Mary Welsh, all were strong and interesting women.

Hemingway's wives were Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhom no comma and Mary Welsh; all were strong and interesting women.

I don't much like the second, but I think it's acceptable.
Thanks a lot!

If I remember correctly, my senior English teacer (a serious Chinese women) taught us that "an adverb must be put behind of a predicate", so I guess many Chinese students will think your second sentence is strange or wrong.

Will British native-speakers think your second sentence is right?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks a lot!

If I remember correctly, my senior English teacer (a serious Chinese women) taught us that "an adverb must be put behind of a predicate", so I guess many Chinese students will think your second sentence is strange or wrong.

Will British native-speakers think your second sentence is right?

I like 5jj's first sentence the best, but I would use the comma (Oxford comma) after the third name in the series.

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I like 5jj's first sentence the best, but I would use the comma (Oxford comma) after the third name in the series.
Thank you!!! I feel 5jj's first sentence can be understood and accepted much more easily.
Perhaps in China, serious English students have learned may be prepared for examination... ... "test English"?:-D
But my English teachers are all very very very good!
ps:
My junior English teacher is an amiable and earnest woman;
senior English teacher is a slender and serious woman;
university English teacher is a plumpy and rigorous woman.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Much as I think it should be added to the dictionary, "plumpy" isn't a word! She is "plump" (note that it's not always polite to refer to someone's size/weight).

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
dodonaomik, please note that a better title would have been 'Hemingway's wives'.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

Rover

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
dodonaomik, please note that a better title would have been 'Hemingway's wives'.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

Rover

Rover_KE:
Now, I have understood your meaning.
Yes, you are right and thank you for your kind advice, and I will notice it next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.