Is there a difference between "supplicant" and "sycophant"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sentinelranger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Cambridge Dictionary defines "supplicant" as:

• a person who asks a god or someone who is in a position of power for something in a humble way
whereas the same dictionary defines "sycophant" as:

• someone who praises powerful or rich people in a way that is not sincere, usually in order to get some advantage from them:
These words seem to give off the impression of someone asking a powerful or rich person for favors. But I can't tell what that difference is. Perhaps a supplicant is someone who just simply asks for help because they have no other choice; they are afflicted by a problem they cannot solve on their own and request assistance from someone who has the means or the knowledge to resolve the aggrieved person's problem. Whereas a sycophant is a bootlicker; someone who intentionally acts subservient to a powerful/rich person in exchange for favors? I could be wrong, but let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You are reading too much into 'supplicant'. The original definition seems OK to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
whereas the same dictionary defines "sycophant" as:

• someone who praises powerful or rich people in a way that is not sincere, usually in order to get some advantage from them:

The blue part is implied only, and not an essential part of the meaning. With supplicant, the asking for something is the essence of the meaning.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, a sycophant is a bootlicker. A suck-up. An ass kisser.

Status
Not open for further replies.