Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
a) Children should limit sugary drinks, sweets and eat between meals.

b) Children should limit sugary drinks, sweets and eating between meals.

Is there any difference in meaning?

Certainly.

a) is saying children should eat between meals; b) is saying they should limit eating between meals.

Those sentences suggest that children make those decisions. Is that what you intend?

Those sentences suggest that children make those decisions. Is that what you intend?
I meant to ask is there difference in meaning because in one the ing form was used and in the other it was the infinitive form of the verb. So it changed the message of each sentence, right?

Children should limit their intake of sugary drinks, sweets and eating/snacking between meals.
You need something like that.

a is incorrect. "Children should limit... eat" is nonsense.

If "limit" isn't supposed to be distributed across all three items in the list, then it's also nonsense.

Children should:
1. Limit sugary drinks
2. sweets (not a verb)
3. eat

Children should limit:
1. sugary drinks
2. sweets
3. eat (not a noun)

a is incorrect. "Children should limit... eat" is nonsense.

If "limit" isn't supposed to be distributed across all three items in the list, then it's also nonsense.

Children should:
1. Limit sugary drinks
2. sweets (not a verb)
3. eat

Children should limit:
1. sugary drinks
2. sweets
3. eat (not a noun)
Sorry, but could you please explain more?

I meant to ask if there is a difference in meaning, because in one the ing form is used and in the other it is the infinitive form of the verb. So it changed the message of each sentence, right?
When you phrase a sentence differently that is often going to change the meaning, yes.

You could change the third to snacks and it would work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back