Is there something wrong with my sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

munchkin2618

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
Philippines
He usually gets the entire thought of what he reads.

--I wrote this in one of my classes and I was given a correction. Somebody said it must be " He usually gets the entire thought of what he read." I just can't accept it. :-D I know that what I meant was it happens usually so it's just right to use the simple present tense.

Please enlighten me. Thanks a lot. Well, I might be wrong so I really need help.

Your version is acceptable with the sense that you intended it.

He usually gets the entire thought of what he reads.

--I wrote this in one of my classes and I was given a correction. Somebody said it must be " He usually gets the entire thought of what he read." I just can't accept it. :-D I know that what I meant was it happens usually so it's just right to use the simple present tense.

Please enlighten me. Thanks a lot. Well, I might be wrong so I really need help.

I think your tense is fine but I don't think the sentence works at all. I don't think you can use 'get the thought' in this context. You can say 'I can't get that thought out of my head' but here you are talking about knowledge and understanding.

I think it would be better to say something like:

He usually understands everything he reads.

You could say:

He usually gets a full understanding of what he reads.

Which, I think is grammatically acceptable, although I would still prefer to use 'everything' in this context:

He usually gets a full understanding of everything he reads.

Thanks! I was definitely enlightened. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back