[Grammar] Is this sentence correct?- He is the best student.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
This is not my homework.

I think that "superlatives" should be used along with some context and if used alone as a "superlative", it will make the sentence incorrect. Have a look at the following sentence.

He is the best student.

I think that this sentence is incorrect as we have not stated the context for the superlative "best". This sentence would be right if it is written with some context as given below.

He is the best student in this class/batch/...
He is the best student that I know.

Am I right?

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
As jutfrank has already asked you, please spend more time preparing, presenting [and checking] your posts.

There are two obvious spelling mistakes and one word that needs to be in quotation marks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
This sentence would be [STRIKE]write[/STRIKE] right if it is written with some context as given below.

Am I right?
The sentence by itself is a good, grammatical sentence. Any isolated sentence like this needs a context, but that doesn't make the sentence incorrect.
"He is the best student" is inadequate as a strict proposition or concept, though, as you point out.

Cross-posted.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You have the right idea about meaning coming from context. However, the context need not necessarily be provided within the same sentence. It could come from anywhere.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Consider the following:

My brother and I are in the same maths class at school. He is the best student. I am the worst.

The context makes it clear that "He is the best student" means "He is the best student in the maths class that he and I are in". It would, however, be entirely unnecessary to use the longer version when the five-word version conveys the idea perfectly.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have tried to correct them. Please check.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
So, in simple terms, "He is the best student.", if written alone anywhere is inadequate as it seems but not grammatically incorrect.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's adequate in the right context. For example, in spoken American English it would be natural for someone to point out someone else while saying "He's the best student!" The heavy emphasis means the speaker is impressed by the student's skills and thinks he's a very good student (though, paradoxically, not necessarily the very best of all students).

Status
Not open for further replies.