Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

I am reading an article about learning English in Chinese.

It said it is offensive to say "you look young" in English. If I say it to a young person or a middle-age person, he/she would think I mean he is inexperienced. If I say it to an older man, he would think I mean he only look young, but actually he isold.

It is proper to say "You don't look your age" or "You're still young".

Do you agree with that?

Thank you!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Personally, "you're still young" is patronizing. I know how old I am. I know how old I feel. I know what the statistics say about my lifespan. I don't need you to tell me any of that.

However, VERY generally speaking, hearing something like "I would have guessed you were younger" is a nice thing to hear when you're a middle-aged woman.

erisenberke

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I think it depends on the person you say that to. If the person is not young, they probably take it as a compliment. But the verb "look" does not imply inexperience I guess, so even a young person would probably not be offended.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A 15-year-old does not want to be told they look younger. They want to look "grown up."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I can remember when I had just graduated. Some patients and other people would say, "You look young to be a doctor". It didn't offend me, but it had me wondering "Well, what can I do about that?" Yes, it certainly can have the implication of "You look inexperienced" when said in the right context. I forget how Doogie Howser used to handle this - not that I was a Doogie Howser!
It's worse to say "You look too young to be a Supreme Court judge or whatever."

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I saw my first patient when I was 23. When my client said "you look very young", I said "I was born at a very early age". We laughed and then went on. The dog had an intestinal foreign body (corn cob) and we fixed him.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I don't think that the phrase is offensive- it depends on who it saying it and the context. If a stranger said it to me, I would be a bit surprised, but if a friend said it, I might feel pleased that I am not showing my age.

Status
Not open for further replies.