Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What does "it cannot be too often repeated" mean? does "the mere fact" refer to the whole sentence or does it refer to "a message comes to us in preternatural fashion"?

It cannot be too often repeated that the mere fact that a message comes to us in preternatural fashion is no guarantee that it is either high or true.

"The History of Spiritualism," by Arthur Conan Doyle

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What does "it cannot be too often repeated" mean?

It's important.

does "the mere fact" refer to the whole sentence or does it refer to "a message comes to us in preternatural fashion"?

The way it came — preternaturally — is not imporant. The important thing is the message itself.

It cannot be too often repeated that the mere fact that a message comes to us in preternatural fashion is no guarantee that it is either high or true.

"The History of Spiritualism," by Arthur Conan Doyle
The word high is what puzzles me!

jacob123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The word high is what puzzles me!

Thanks but I am a little confused. Does "the mere fact" refer to the whole remained part of the sentence or does it only refer to "a message comes to us in preternatural fashion"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It means that you can't simply take the fact that a message comes in a preternatural fashion as evidence that it's true (and apparently whatever "high" means there!)

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
It cannot be too often repeated
This is just a way of indicating emphasis and is similar to the common expression in English "cannot be overemphasized/overstated".

Take a look at entry #2 in this link:
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/overemphasize

For example:
The significance of the peace treaty cannot be overemphasized.
There's a kind of double negative there (not and over), and those two basically cancel each other.
Roughly: do not be concerned that you might give the peace treaty more significance than it's worth; the treaty is VERY significant.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thanks but I am a little confused. Does "the mere fact" refer to the whole remained part of the sentence or does it only refer to "a message comes to us in preternatural fashion"?

Only to "a message comes to us in preternatural fashion".

Status
Not open for further replies.