Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
What's the difference between:

1) It doesn't seem to be working.
2) It's not working.

The first is less certain than the second.

The first is less certain than the second.
As far as I've learned online 'doesn't seem to' means that the person feels like it should work but cannot find the right way to do it successfully.
Although I don't know how to explain the second one :-(

As far as I've learned online 'doesn't seem to' means that the person feels like it should work but cannot find the right way to do it successfully.
That's only one possible use. There are others.

Although I don't know how to explain the second one :-(
The first one: There might be something wrong with it. There might be nothing wrong with it. You can't get it to work and don't know why.

The second one: It might be broken, out of gas, or not plugged in. Or its design is no good.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first one: There might be something wrong with it. There might be nothing wrong with it. You can't get it to work and don't know why.

The second one: It might be broken, out of gas, or not plugged in. Or its design is no good.
What would you think if I said:
1) The TV is not working.
Vs
2) The TV doesn't seem to be working.

I'd think you should you try giving it a whack.

Vs

I'd say you take it to a TV technician. Giving it a whack may cause some other internal problems.

Vs

They mean distinctly different things to me. Number one is a statement of absolute fact. Number two is a little uncertain.

I'd say you take it to a TV technician. Giving it a whack may cause some other internal problems.
Always works for me.

Like my old engineer friend Jon says: "Never force it. Use a bigger hammer."

Always works for me.

Like my old engineer friend Jon says: "Never force it. Use a bigger hammer."

I used to whack my TV whenever there was a problem to get good signals for some channels - now, it's out of order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back