Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The sentence below is from the Book Five for junior secondary school in China, the author is Beijing RA Education Research Centre.

"It is a wonderful place to live."
the question be whether or not I should add the word "in" after the word "live" ?

Looking forward to your reply.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No, don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The sentence below is from [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] Book Five for junior secondary schools in China by [STRIKE]the author is[/STRIKE] the Beijing RA Education Research Centre.

"It is a wonderful place to live."

[STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] My question [STRIKE]be[/STRIKE] is whether or not I should add the word "in" after the word "live". [STRIKE]?[/STRIKE]

I am looking forward to your reply.

Note my corrections above. The sentence beginning "the question", which I changed to "My question" is not a question so it should have ended with a full stop, not a question mark. Remember that we don't put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.

Note that I have changed your thread title. Titles should be unique and relevant to the thread, and should include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you are asking us about. Your actual question must appear in the main body of the post.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

And are you clear as to the responses?

The question of the permissibility of omitting the preposition in depends on the noun used. As Piscean suggests in the linked thread, when the noun is place, the omission is possible (and usually much preferable). Otherwise, it isn't.

If you require an explanation (which I don't think is necessary), mine would be this: The word place is special, and semantically ambiguous in that it can be parsed either as an entity or as a locative phrase. If parsed as a locative, it necessarily carries the sense that the preposition normally provides (in, say, locative preposition phrases).

Last edited:

doletotodole

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
thank you again for your corrections. They are really helpful.

doletotodole

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks for your reply. I learnt quite a bit from this reply.

And are you clear as to the responses?

The question of the permissibility of omitting the preposition in depends on the noun used. As Piscean suggests in the linked thread, when the noun is place, the omission is possible (and usually much preferable). Otherwise, it isn't.

If you require an explanation (which I don't think is necessary), mine would be this: The word place is special, and semantically ambiguous in that it can be parsed either as an entity or as a locative phrase. If parsed as a locative, it necessarily carries the sense that the preposition normally provides (in, say, locative preposition phrases).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you again for your corrections. They are really helpful.

Please use the "Thank" button rather than writing a new post to thank anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.