rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I had sent an email to my boss for his approval on something. In that email, in the last line I wrote - It is being submitted for your approval. Is this correct?

Sombody suggested to me that it should have been - It is submitted for your approval.

I am confused which one is correct. Please guide me.

mpeers8972

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you are in the process of submitting an approval separately to the email, best to use "it is being submitted...", i.e., it is in progress.
If you are asking for approval within this email, right now, use "it is submitted for your approval..."
If it was submitted before sending the email, use "It has been submitted for your approval..."

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I had sent an email to my boss for his approval on something.
What's that something?
Are you asking him to approve an expense claim? Or a draft document?
Had you sent him whatever you wanted approved earlier? Or are you sending it with that email?

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What's that something?
Are you asking him to approve an expense claim? Or a draft document?
Had you sent him whatever you wanted approved earlier? Or are you sending it with that email?
In that email, I had attached an approval note. It was not an expense claim.

Last edited:

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I had attached an approval note.
What do you mean by "approval note"? Do you mean a note for approval by your boss? An approval note means a note of approval, meaning you were approving something.

I'd use "I have attached a note for your approval".

If you want to use the passive voice, both options in your opening post are possible. But it'd be more natural to use the active voice.

If you particularly want to use "submitted" you can say "I am submitting the attached note for your approval".

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Do you mean you were asking him to approve your request? That's very old-fashioned language.

Why do you have to attach a separate request to your email? Couldn't you just ask him by your email to fill the vacant position?

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Why do you have to attach a separate request to your email? Couldn't you just ask him by your email to fill the vacant position?
That request was sent to me by HR for my boss's approval. I summarized that note in the email attaching the main note. At the end of my mail that Inhad summarized, I wrote - it is being submitted for your approval

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
OK, I'll stick to what I said in #5 then.

It was a request to fill the vacant position in our department.

I'm not sure I'd call it a request that the position be filled. It sounds as if HR is saying "There's a position vacant. Shall we go ahead and look for someone?" and needs your boss to say "Yes, go ahead". So it's more a request that permission be given.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
If the submission is done by email, it is instantaneous. There is no question of the email "being submitted".
It is either submitted or not submitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.